1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are some film cameras becoming a status symbol

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Stephen Rundle, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Laurence Cochrane

Laurence Cochrane Active Member

Had an old F1 years ago STUPIDLY let it go

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  2. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

I still have my black Pentax Super A which was purchased in 1988, Still in bloody good condition and I gaze at it with love in my eyes for a bygone age. Perhaps it's why I sold all my Canon gear, including a nice batch of L glass for a Fuji XT4 kit.

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The Fujifilm kit is a great release from the heavyweight stuff most of us have ended up accumulating. They have successfully produced easily portable equipment of quality, with the best of retro feel for those who appreciate such attributes.

4. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I put a roll of film in my Nikkormat ELW two weekends ago, never actually took a pic before the weather turned though. That's a bit of a tank to lug round, it's markedly heavier than my Zenit. Must put a roll through the F3 sometime, though as I use all its lenses on the D200 it'll feel a bit odd.

Mark101 and Done_rundleCams like this.
  5. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

The odd thing that you'll notice, Adrian, is how much looser your subject look :eek: ...... ;) Plus, I wanna know how many times you chimp
    with the F3 :D

Cheers,

Jack

6. gray1720

Well, it's got a little film label holder in the back, I might put a little photo in it...

Done_rundleCams, Zou, Gezza and 2 others like this.
  7. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

:D :D :D .... great idea, Adrian :D

jack

8. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

One acquaintance put a note in here reading "Have you wound on pillock?"

9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That's just awful. Should be "Have you wound on? Pillock."

10. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

You'll not be chimping the back of your F3 as much as I chimp the back of my Minolta Dynax 7 !
    No matter what button I press , sometimes it can be months before i get to see the images . o_O

Dynax 7 LCD.jpg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

zx9r and Done_rundleCams like this.
  11. gray1720

Oooh, interesting - matrix metering, I assume?

12. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I'll have a P please Bob. :D

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

He's not. The Dynax 7 is a film camera, as was the Nikon F3. You've just missed the joke, which has led to you posting unnecessarily rudely.

neilt3 and Done_rundleCams like this.
  14. Laurence Cochrane

Laurence Cochrane Active Member

OOPS SORRY If all else fails read the instructions

Done_rundleCams and Benchista like this.
  15. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

My great regret is that the fabled digital film project never came to anything. Nor am I sure that "I'm Back" is anything more than smoke and mirrors. It would be fun to make digital images using my old cameras!

16. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

Revisiting the Kodak DCS :) May as well go the whole hog and stick a NPC polaroid back on your F3 for instant results.

17. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Matrix metering for Nikon , Multi-segment metering for others , but Minolta called this a " Brightness-Distribution Display " .
    Very fancy . How many people have ever used this function I don't know .

Another display setting available when used with "D" type lenses ( those with a distance encoding chip in them with ADI flash metering ) showed the range of acceptable focus at any given aperture and focus distance when the DOF preview button was pressed .
    Another function I'm not sure was used much .
    Called the "Digital DOF Display" .
    You do see this feature on some digital cameras .
    30416147275_654cc64776_o.jpg

Done_rundleCams and zx9r like this.
  18. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

:p

19. gray1720

Thanks, Neil, consider me educated! I've never bothered with the fancy metering on my D200, but as I'm using AI-S lenses anyway, it would probably sulk. I did discover that it doesn't support shutter priority with them, after a day shooting airyplanes!

20. Almach

Almach Member

As for film cameras I have only 2 cameras with really accurate Light meter: Canon T70 and Canon Eos300.