1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are some film cameras becoming a status symbol

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Stephen Rundle, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Whaddya mean "next thing you know ..." It already is :)

Cheers,

Jack

Mark101 and neilt3 like this.
  2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I'm not short.
    Does that mean I'm not cool? Though I could probably make up the points on scruffy.

S

Done_rundleCams and neilt3 like this.
  3. Done_rundleCams

Only if you shoot with Pentax, Steve ;)

Cheers,
    Jack

steveandthedogs likes this.
  4. Laurence Cochrane

Laurence Cochrane Active Member

I am tall, fat and scruffy. Does that count ? My image is, come near me, I will kill you. With my RB67 OBVIOUSLY

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  5. Laurence Cochrane

Camera murder weapon of my choice is the RB. Next choice, one of my Mamiya C33's or my Bronica SQA.(Doubt if the SQA would still work after caving someone's head in).Not tried it.

6. Done_rundleCams

Welcome to the forums, Laurence :) , and, I'm guessing, you're RB67 is loaded :eek: .... ;)

Cheers,

Jack

Laurence Cochrane likes this.
  7. Laurence Cochrane

Thank you for the welcome.. You are right the RB67 is always loaded.

8. Laurence Cochrane

Just had a look on Ebay. Prices of Mamiya TLR lenses are rising. A while back lenses bar the 135 were running at about £80 to a max of £100. Now the cheapest are £130 up to £250. Not to worried I have my 3 keepers a 65mm a 105mm & a 135mm

9. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Status symbols? Naw....

Leica and Rollei from right.jpg

10. Laurence Cochrane

To be honest I do not know why I am surprised that the prices of Mamiya TLR lenses are increasing. GOOD Mamiya TLR lenses are hard to find yet good camera bodies not so much.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  11. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

It is quite shocking what prices some cameras are making these days. I half regret checking what a good clean M2 is worth, I paid about £200 for mine and £80 or so to get it serviced back in 2005. The other half regret is not buying it a set of period Leica lenses at the time I was short of cash and had Voigtlander and Canon lenses that could be used on it with M adapters so that is what I did.
    Though even run of the mill film cameras generate interest, I was testing a K1000 prior to selling it and found myself followed around by a well dressed bloke using a Leica Bridge camera. He struck up a conversation and seemed to be fascinated by the old Pentax.
    Why was I using it, where to buy film, how to get it processed, what do you do with the resulting photographs?
    It is a nice enough camera and works without batteries which is a big thing in it's favour but to me it will always be the camera that thousands of art students learned photography with which I suppose is something that it has to recommend it.

12. Laurence Cochrane

That's the thing. Go out round the streets with a film camera people talk to you. This does not happen with digital. The exception being if out with a Medium format, professional digital photographers hate you. They refuse even to look in your direction. SOOO funny.

13. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The only time a “professional digital photographer” stopped and talked to me was a very friendly chat when I was using a 6x6 to photograph a shop window in Conwy. He worked for the local press and had an early single digit Nikon held together with Gaffer tape. We had a long chat about digital vs film (it was I guess about 2004/5).

I’ve only once seen a digital MF in use, in case that’s what you meant, that was someone doing background shots for a wedding - bride at church yard gate stuff.

I’ve been asked if I was using film - a couple of time back in 2017 - using an XE-2, probably because it is a rangefinder style camera and is in silver not all black.

14. Andrew Flannigan

I always prefer people not noticing me when I'm taking pictures, so that's a plus!

Surprised looking woman Exeter bus station  DSC01485.JPG

Sometimes, of course, I do get noticed...

Men in queue at Exeter Bus Station G9 P1013138.JPG

15. Laurence Cochrane

Actually meant MF film. I do go out armed with a Medium format C33, SQA or RB67.and my aged Olympus digital 12.3 mp

16. Laurence Cochrane

I do not mind people talking to me about cameras.

17. Andrew Flannigan

I like to get pictures of people going about their lives "in the wild"...

Workman on cherry picker working on wires at Clyst St Mary P1220522.JPG
    Young woman talking to man on bench Sidwell Street Exeter P113 0937.JPG
    Woman kissing bald man's head  P1010255.JPG Couple outside the New Inn Long Buckby Wharf R1_02834.JPG

Done_rundleCams and zx9r like this.
  18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

The cameras which get folk talking are the Box Brownie and the Zero 45. More stares and funny looks than chat but I usually don't mind.

19. Laurence Cochrane

Done it again ! Bought another flaming film camera. Not medium format this time but 35mm. Despite convincing myself I DO NOT NEED ONE OF THESE. Camera is a Canon F1 New with AE finder £250 also bought a winder FN for £60 these two items give the camera both shutter and arpeture priority. Even tho it will most likely be used on manual exposure. So much for convincing myself.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  20. Andrew Flannigan

No one needs a F1N. Horrible to hold and the shutter makes a nasty sound. I really regreted changing from my original F1...

Canon F1 old and lenses.jpg

to this...

Canon F1N front.JPG

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: