1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Are some film cameras becoming a status symbol

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Stephen Rundle, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Dare I suggest that people who need status symbols are not worth taking seriously?

neilt3 likes this.
  2. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

I think with some people it's an insecurity thing where they feel the need to with the "in crowd " or something like that .
    More of a fashion accessory , like I said earlier , I wonder how many film cameras you see being carried around are even loaded , let alone used ?

3. Chester AP

If a particular status symbol identifies its owner as a member of a particular 'club', then I'd agree with Groucho Marx about not wanting to be a member of any club that would admit people like me (I paraphrase).

Re. 'loaded': this reminds me of the stories about 'camera clubs' booking a nude (female) model and nobody using any film in their cameras. Probably difficult to arrange under current social distancing guidelines...

neilt3 likes this.
  4. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

There are a heck of a lot of different models, some better than others, but all autocords have the same lens but many different shutters.
    Some of the late ones with the quick lock neck strap seem to go for collectors prices, mine was one of those, and I missed out.

5. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

why does film in your camera give you more protection.?

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I think to be fair there's more to it than just a fashion statement. I've seen on other forums these cameras suggested as good choices for compact film cameras with decent lenses, and certainly I can vouch for the XA-1, Mju II (and to a lesser extent, the original) and the Rollei 35S. Previously, the Yashica T4 and 5 were favoured in this area, but these are now £500, astonishingly, so these other models almost seem like good value in comparison. Now quite why compacts should be so popular I'm not sure...

7. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

I started collecting Oly Trip 35's some time ago, I even have a rarer black model. I bought them for £15-£25 on ebay, refurbished them, re skinned. Later I managed to get some of the last remaining original filters, little flash guns and cases. I currently see Referb Trip's selling for £135, so it was somewhat of a good investment, they give great results, and are arguably perhaps the ultimate street-shooters camera.

8. John King

John King Well-Known Member

I bought a Nikon F6 five years ago because it was very cheap I paid £599 for it from a dealer. They are now selling from anywhere between £899 and £1200. I would not sell mine because in the 350+ films I have had through it it has never missed a frame with poor exposure or focussing and it simply a delight to use. This camera had very little use before I bought it going by the cassette counter in the camera back which was registering 18 films, now it is showing close on 400.
    I also have a F100 which I bought for £99 about 3 years ago and is the back up for the F6 and is almost as good. When you can find a good one they will cost up to £200 now. The F100 I bought, had the renowned Nikon sticky back covering, an easy fix with Isopropyl alcohol. It is better than the F6 in one respect, it takes AA batteries and a full set last longer that the pair lithium cells the F6 uses.
    Neither are status symbols, but tools which I use regularly. and are both thoroughly reliable.

I also own a nearly perfect Minolta Autocord which I paid quite a bit of money for. It was in the original box with an unmarked case, strap, instructions and the original sales receipt from Dixons dated September 1964. Sadly the lens cap is missing. It has not had a lot of use and the shutter seems accurate enough, however it will need servicing because the focussing lever is very stiff. That too will get full use after the servicing.

9. Chester AP

I don't believe anybody has suggested that a loved 'tool' is a status symbol.
    Perhaps a camera that is owned only as a status symbol is a form of fetish object (not in the sexual way, I hope).

10. John King

I think you have got the wrong end of the stick. I was trying to show how the price of film cameras has gone up out of all proportion compared with some of all dancing and singing, ego boosters from the digital world.
    Even the Autocord will increase in value after a good service.
    Probably the best dealer for used equipment in UK is Ffordes and they have so little GOOD film equipment 35mm, 120 and large format, the prices are going to rise irrespective - collectors items, status symbols or not.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

If you look at the Grays of Westminster adverts in AP you will see that some people are prepared to pay very silly money for cameras that have been kept in the box or unusual lenses. The current offering is a 50th anniversary F5 in the presentation box with special strap at £1,995. There are plenty of other examples of equipment that has been stored and retained its value. Unfortunately there are those who see an item as a status symbol and will pay for it just because they want it even if the have neither idea how nor intention to use it.

I have always bought equipment to use, especially cameras, and that is what I do with it. When I sold our stock of D2 bodies in February SRS described the condition as excellent but we certainly hadn't taken any special care of them. My two F5 bodies are actually, in my opinion, in better cosmetic condition but currently prices for a used f5 aren't very high unless they are special editions.

The thing about a status symbol is that it has to look the part, a standard Nikon F5 looks very little different from a D3 or D4 at a distance but the 50th anniversary version is easily identified, if you know what to look for. I suppose an F2 might fit the bill. May be some of these cameras are reverse status symbols.

12. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I didn't realise you were a Trip fan too, Mark. I have two, though it's a long time since I've used - they are still bolted bottom to bottom as an experiment in stereography from about eight years ago!

13. John King

I would love to own a mint or near mint F2a, but they are outrageous prices for a good one. But would I use it more than my F6 I doubt it very much and you can only use one camera at once. What I like is the simplicity and reliability but not the price.

14. John King

I like the 1st image on your flicker site the one with the B&W image of the distant snow covered mountain - where is it?

15. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

16. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Yep, Blencathra in the English Lake District.

Adrian

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I didn't, and quite probably wouldn't, pay £150 for a Lubitel, but that said, my Lubitel 2 has more value to me than my Yashicamat 124G ever did. The Yash was capable of very decent results, which the Lubitel isn't; however, the Lubitel is capable of much more impressionistic results, which to me is more useful. The Yash is an entirely competent, but to me very unexciting camera that I don't really have much fun with when I use - unlike a Rollei, or even the Lubitel.

18. Chester AP

The value of classic cameras goes up and the value of mere 'tools' varies (the same thing has happened with used hi-fi equipment).
    Re. film equipment - have a look at MrCad's website. I used them once a few years ago and the service was prompt and the packaging very good. They don't understand the correct use of apostrophes, but know their camera's (sic).

https://www.mrcad.co.uk/

This is an example the first real camera I owned, purchased new as a discontinued model in 1973. It cost me £50 with a Zeiss Pancolor 50 mm F 1.8 (a better lens than the one MrCad has), and I used it until 1980 when I managed to afford a Pentax MX with a 50 mm F 1.8. that cost exactly twice as much when purchased in Hong Kong by a friend of my father's when on a business trip (at the time they were imported into the UK by Rank and sold for about £200). The Exakta was based upon a Praktica body, but with a detachable metering prism and a bayonet mount. I would say that this model Exakta was a tool, but the Pentax MX was a classic. I kept the Pentax until 2007, and only got a DSLR (Pentax again) when Kodachrome was no longer available to feed the MX.

If somebody I knew wanted to work with film today I would not hesitate to suggest they look for a good condition MX, but the Exakta is one to collect as a unusual camera rather than use.

https://www.mrcad.co.uk/product/exakta-rtl-1000-50mm-f1-8-orlitz-lens-number-139/

19. John King

I and have bought items from Mr Cad in the past but have learned that you have to be very careful. Some if the items I have had from him were not the highest quality but still charged top dollar for used kit. A NOVA Processor I bought mail order arrived OK. It was used but still in clean condition. When I filled it the 1st time there was a leak from the 3rd slot and on closer inspection it had been leaking before he sold it because of the staining on the lover rear edge right where the leak was. It had not been checked. I got my money back.

Even before that when I lived in Sussex I bought a new Tokina 28mm lens in Nikon fitting from Mr Cad in Croydon. It was bought in his shop/warehouse, not mail order. It was designed for the both pre Ai and post Ai fitting. I put it onto my F1 Photomic and went out and used it. Every image on the roll was over exposed. When I checked the lens, I found the 'Rabbit Ears' had been fitted 1 stop out, instead of being fitted over the F5.6 point it was over the F4 point. I took it back and they exchanged it. That too was the same, and the next one, and the next one; in fact the lenses bought as a job lot were faulty. So you have to be careful.

That never seems to happen with Ffordes, their standards are much higher.

After retiring from my job nearly 20 years ago now, I worked part time for MXV Photographic in Uckfield, East Sussex. Remember them? Owned and run by one of the most honest people I have ever known, Paul Beaumont. It was possibly his work ethics were his downfall because sadly the business went under 2 years after I left. He later took his own life. His prices were very fair and nearly always gave a 12 month guarantee with used items, no other dealer I know of did that.

neilt3 and steveandthedogs like this.
  20. Mike40

Mike40 Well-Known Member

I can certainly back up MXV’s unique way of working. In about 2001 I had a Contax RTS2 for sale and contacted MXV. I was given a generous estimate and travelled down to Uckfield with the camera. On arrival, the camera was examined and, to my surprise, I was then asked if I would like to revise my valuation upwards. This had certainly never happened before but, considering we had a ‘gentleman’s agreement’, I stuck to the original estimate - which had been, as I said, generous. To read that Paul Beaumont took his own life is tragic. A man and a company that stood out like beacons in a greed-ridden world.