1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Nikon and Canon falling behind in view of Sony launches?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by P_Stoddart, Aug 24, 2011.

1. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Long way off I say in terms of current CDAF. I've seen figures of say 2/10 second for CDAF that is 200ms! 20fps needs 50ms per frame. I suspect only phase detect can give that for continous AF over the next few years.

We also don't know if the ratio of light passing through the mirror can be improved. Currently I believe it is 70% to the sensor. Sony might try and bump that up to 75% or even 80% on the later designs.

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Let's not forget that Sony are a manufacturer of professional broadcast and cinema quality video cameras. Sony are rather good at upmarket EVFs. Volume production could bring economies of scale.
    Recent developments in sensors have given improvements in sensitivity that allows half a stop of light to be thrown away in an SLT. Since the mirror does not swing, less space can be taken up by the mirror box, although this attribute of SLT has not yet been leveraged.
    I will stick with Nikon because I have a lot of Nikon kit, however if I was starting out from scratch then I would seriously be considering a Sony SLT. If I was a Minolta film user about to go digital then to do anything apart from buying the latest Sony top model would be crazy beyond belief.