1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Are CFexpress cards.......

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by mediaman, Oct 23, 2019.

1. mediaman

mediaman Well-Known Member

...compatible with XQD cards, as I have been informed that with a firmware upgrade, I can use them in my D500 and possibly the Z7 when I upgrade later this tear !

2. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

That's my understanding of the situation. The general feeling on various forums is it is hoped that eventually they will be cheaper than XQD, for which manufacturers have to pay a licence fee to Sony. Sandisk have started to produce them, but they are expensive.

mediaman likes this.
  3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

It is my understanding that CFExpress cards are the same form factor as XQD but a firmware upgrade is required in the current Nikon cameras that use XQD cards.

mediaman likes this.
  4. mediaman

On ebay, they seem to be about half price of the XQD cards .... !

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

They are certainly cheaper but we need Nikon to tell us about compatibility.

6. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Saw a brief YouTube video on the new Canon 1Dx Mark 111. Apparently that will be using CFexpress cards.

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Nikon's reply to my query.

"I would like to confirm that we plan to release firmware updates for the D500, D850, Z6, Z7 and possibly D5 at a later stage, that will implement CFExpress card compatibility.

Their release date is still unknown, however."

So now you know.

mediaman likes this.
  8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I will believe it when it happens. This is not important to me. I have two camers that use XQD and have 4 XQD cards. I expect that that the performance of CFE to be throtled by the cameras even if they are made compatible.

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion, CFE may be faster than XQD but the D4 is fully compatible with the latest XQD and that is faster than the original ones. Current cameras will, inevitably, be restricted by their hardware sooner or later but I would expect CFE performance to be no worse than XQD and that exceeds anything I need.

10. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

I think on earlier models such as the D500 (earlier being a relative term!) the speed of CFexpress will be throttled, as it is unlikely that the interface was created to even get near CFE speeds.
    Sony's site lists the maximum speeds of XQD at around 440MB/s, which is still good. Having the processing power to allow this through to the CPU is a lot different than having the processing power to allow even Gen 1 of CFE (1GB/s) work at effective speeds.
    The Type B cards are the correct physical format to play nice with XQD, but later generations are not - Type C (2nd Gen) is much larger and employs more PCIe lanes.
    https://www.compactflash.org/cfexpress
    https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/storage-devices/t/xqd-memory-cards

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Please excuse me if you disagree but to me the word "throttled" implies artificially or deliberately limiting something. CFE cards in XQD slots won't be throttled they will to the full capability of hardware that wasn't designed to exploit the full capability of a technology that wasn't available at the time said hardware was designed. To me that isn't throttling, it is an acknowledged limitation.

12. mediaman

Even if CFE cards are going to be limited to less than their full potential, One of the main reasons that I was inquiring was the cost of them , at present being half the price of XQD.

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I would be interested for just that reason too.

14. AndyTake2

15. AndyTake2

16. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

18. AndyTake2

??
    Nikon list only Sony type Bmpact
    Not sure what you mean here - Nikon's own site lists only Sony Type B CFExpress cards as being supported - there is other stuff as well, but as far as CFExpress goes, Nikonrumors reported it correctly.

19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The point is that Nikon are reporting that their cameras will support CFExpress with a firmware update, my link goes to said update.

20. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I am still astonished at the number of places that sell Nikon cameras that require XQD cards, that do not sell XQD cards. So they are happy to sell you an expensive new camera but not the memory cards that are required for it to take photos ! I am also surprised that the price of XQD cards still remains so high (especially in comparison to SD) - surely there is scope for someone to come up with an XQD adapter that takes a micro-SDHC card?