1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Aberdeen players any better or worse than Cummings?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Learning, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I put them about equal. I don't care. I wouldn't go any where near any of 'em.
    Live and let die say I.

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I'd say they are worse. But then don't footballers think they are special and rules don't apply to them?

3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Am I missing something? I thought the only rules they broke were those put in place to enable football to be played and not those that apply to everyone?

Zou likes this.
  4. Learning

[QU'OTE="Catriona, post: 1641470, member: 38963"]I'd say they are worse. But then don't footballers think they are special and rules don't apply to them?[/QUOTE]
    That's very generous of you Catriona. I put the footballers and Cummings equal.
    I actually think that Cummings is more useful than football players, but that is obviously a matter of opinion, especially in Aberdeen. There is so much political point scoring going on. It used to be entertaining. It isn't now.

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Yes. Also they didn't personally influence the creation of those rules, the communication of those rules, or the issuance of guidelines not aligned to the rules which may have been deliberate obfuscation.

However... St. Johnstone should be awarded the game as Aberdeen failed to make the fixture. That would have a greater impact on compliance than slapped wrists and a namecheck at a press conference.

daft_biker and WillieJ like this.
  6. Learning

Your words Zou don't make much impression on me. I see you as a 'trying hard political influencer.' I don't see any loyalty to anyone or nationality other. than yourself.
    Catriona I see you as a very decent Scottish citizen loyal to Scotland.
    I see myself as English and loyal to Britain. Decency is up to others to judge.
    On a slightly different topic believe that Ireland is better off as an island state. That puts me at odds to many Brits. I don't care who I offend in that statement. Britain is best off as an island state of three nations. That is my honest view.

7. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Considering the long-standing reputation of Aberdonians being tight-fisted, who buys the ball, or does the opposing team have to bring along one?

Apparently an Aberdonian decided to attend a Scottish Free Church service but promptly feigned a heart-attack on seeing a collection plate being handed around.

8. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

No idea, I've never seen Cummings play.

Zou, retrofit, Mark101 and 3 others like this.
  9. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Depends if they are Tories too.

10. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Would they do a better job of advising our resident clown in number 10?

11. John King

John King Well-Known Member

The trip taken by Cummings from London to his parents farm in Co Durham was actually legitimate. What was under question is the trip to Barnard Castle. That was against the rules and he was spoken to by the police. Warning given and no further action. Plus as far as we know he did not contribute to the spread of the virus or alter the lockdown.

Those players in Aberdeen actually blatantly broke the guidelines and cause a localised lockdown in Aberdeen after some were tested positive.

So on balance Dominic Cummings compared to them is a lighter shade of pale and the players a darker shade of black. The licencee should also loose his job as well.

12. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

I personally would totally dispute the trip Cummings made was in anyway legitimate based on the twisting of so called need, it's just his position allowed him to get away with it. People with that sort of money and connection can find help any were if they need it, unlike the many other. I notice the abuse he got from all the neighbours when he returned, which makes me wonder if he will sell up and move since they aren't going to forget that incident in a hurry.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  13. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Agreed. Apart from anything else it revealed one of his many flaws in that he clearly fails to undestand the old proverb "Caesar's wife must be above suspicion" and its relevance to his position.

Petrochemist and steveandthedogs like this.
  14. John King

John King Well-Known Member

Legally and it has been shown that he did not break the law! Not my words, but those of the Head of the CPS so no action was taken. People don't like it but there you have it.

As for the trip to Barnard Castle he was spoken to by police and as would many other offenders and be given 'words of advice' and this has happened many times since and during the restrictions on mixing etc.. This is a fundamental point in the judicial system where a person can be warned and no further action taken. It happens all the time.

Funny though, how all the furore about Dominic Cummings when not a lot (in fact nothing) was said about Neil Kinnock's son travelling 240 miles+ to Wales, just to give his father a birthday present. This was a lot earlier on when the restriction were first applied and a much earlier date than when Cummings made his trip. Now that WAS a breach of the law.

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  15. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

IIRC the stance was that the fines had never been applied retrospectively.

You don't have to worry about getting found out if you don't get caught in the act....cheers Dom:)

16. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

In this case the law is irrelevant. A man at the heart of government, already an extremely controversial figure, behaved in a manner which his government had classed as bad. When challenged, he prevaricated and refused to accept that what he had done was both foolish and antisocial.

Petrochemist likes this.
  17. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

The CPS does not decide on whether or not something is legal, only if a prosecution is likely to succeed.

S

Zou and WillieJ like this.
  18. WillieJ

To amplify Steves point. The CPS also take a view on whether prosecution is in the public interest and as Andy said as no fines are applied retrospectively then why would a government appointee decide tio stick his neck out?

19. Learning

I am happily watching from the sidelines after starting the thread. I do make the observation that there is a lot of hypocrisy from both sides.

20. WillieJ

John, Not really sure why you "poke with a stick" and then try to pass judgement on responses when you probably do not have the empathy to interpret where people are coming from. Seems a bit pointless.