1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Architectural Photography

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by EightBitTony, Jun 11, 2020.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

We've had several genres (Portraiture - https://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/threads/portraiture.140635/, Still Life - https://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/threads/still-life.140633/, Street - https://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/threads/street-photography.140641/, Documentary - https://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/threads/documentary-reportage.140766/) so I thought I'd start some more.

Architectural Photography

I don't do a lot, and what I do tends to deviate in to other forms but I know at least one person on the forum has a tilt shift lens specifically for this reason.

I really don't have any good personal examples, but this is an opportunity to post your own. Here's the closest I get,

[​IMG]Clifford's Tower Cliché Shot by Tony Evans, on Flickr

[​IMG]Windowrama by Tony Evans, on Flickr

RovingMike, ptermx and Zou like this.
  2. EightBitTony

@PeteRob - I'm talking about you in case you weren't sure. Get in here with that tilt shift of yours.

3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I do architecture normally as part of holiday snaps only, a memory of a great looking building. When I do though, like you I cross genres into the more graphic but even then not too often.
    These are from a few years ago now.

[​IMG]angles mono by Nigel G, on Flickr

[​IMG]Angles by Nigel G, on Flickr

[​IMG]Angles and reflections by Nigel G, on Flickr

I have only just noticed now I have seen them together, is the last one didn't have a black border. How annoying.

EightBitTony, ptermx and Zou like this.
  4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

And again, great buildings but I was more interested in the visual art side of things. Someone who takes architecture photos would be horrified with the verticals!

[​IMG]Shanghai skyscrapers by Nigel G, on Flickr

EightBitTony likes this.
  5. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I think if they're so far off as not to be accidental, they're fine. Better to be obviously out in my humblest of opinions.

dream_police likes this.
  6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Some architecture I find interesting.

Unusual street lamp in Northernhay Street, Exeter...
    Canon 5D_one 8GB 08 IMG_2862.JPG

Absail tower at Exe Quay, Exeter...
    Absailing tower Haven Banks Exeter A65 DSC01580.JPG

The Adlerblick cafe on the Zillergrund above Mayrhofen in Austria...
    Addlerblick Zillergrund Mayerhofen R1_02021.JPG

Roof detail of the St Bridget Nurseries building near Exeter...
    Architectural detail at St Bridget's nursery on the A3076 at Clyst St Mary A65  DSC02254.JPG

Typical church in the Inntal near Innsbruck, Austria...
    Austrian Village close to the German border near Mittenwald G2 1190835.JPG

Part of the rebuilt Princesshay complex in Exeter...
    Building at corner of Paris Street and High Street Exeter DSC02909.JPG

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

What's the expression - 1 degree is a mistake, 30 degrees is style?

Craig20264 and EightBitTony like this.
  8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Well you won't be impressed as the main reason for the purchase was family history churches, which can be a right pain to get in the frame, but don't really stand out as architectural marvels.

This is St James Piccadilly, which was an absolute pig to photograph at all because of the sun. It is flared to death.

[​IMG]BV9R0415.jpg by Pete, on Flickr

Then being a tourist in London we have our best known bits of stone - LR says these were taken with the TSE on my 1Div - why on earth that should be I don't know.

[​IMG]BV9R0407.jpg by Pete, on Flickr

[​IMG]BV9R0406.jpg by Pete, on Flickr

EightBitTony, Craig20264 and Zou like this.
  9. EightBitTony

Luckily I get to decide what I'm impressed by :p

10. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Some aspects of Canary Wharf, both well integrated and in many cases quite startling...

Canary Wharf Concourse 1230039.JPG

Canary Wharf Leica M3 Summit SP3 08.JPG

Canary Wharf roof and escalator 2160007.JPG

DLR station at Canary Wharf London 1020056.JPG

DLR train approaching Panasonic FX55 1020095.jpg

11. PeteRob

La defense in Paris, which I suppose is like London's canary wharf, is an interesting place. I

[​IMG]IMG_0145.jpg by Pete, on Flickr

12. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    Zou and EightBitTony like this.
  13. RovingMike

EightBitTony likes this.
  14. EightBitTony

At 800px it's going to look like this has a massive halo around it, but here you go, from today, Nottingham College (new building in the city centre)

20200614-6D-IMG_1014_x800_hq.jpg

Zou, RovingMike and dream_police like this.
  15. EightBitTony

Another shot of the new college

20200614-6D-IMG_0999_x2048_hq2.jpg

Spot the errors (in my photograph, not the building).

16. RovingMike

Correcting the verticals has made it look like it is leaning out?

17. PeteRob

Looks OK to me.

Edit: if appraisal I’d say it’s a bit tight and a higher viewpoint to see over the fence would be good, or to include the whole fence, but those aren’t errors.

18. EightBitTony

I think correcting the verticals has made the font look weird, squished, and the amount of underside visible on the overhangs doesn't look right in the context of the fence for me!

I don't see that (probably a personal thing?) but the building shape is weird enough to cause other effects!

It's in a really annoying place to shoot, more lamposts and signposts than is good for any part of the city, your point about the fance is interesting, I found the entire fence distracting, but wonder if including it all would have been better. Can't get any higher without being on a tram (or walking illegaly down the tram line over the bridge, which would be a fantastic angle but I'm not quite up to it).

19. RovingMike

Yes I saw that after I googled pics of the original. It is why I correct verticals with Skew, rather than Perspective.

20. PeteRob

You said it was the photograph, not the building. Without knowing what the building looks like in real life it is impossible to say how the perspective correction can make it look weird. This passes the obvious checks on perspective correction.

Zou and EightBitTony like this.