1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

APS Film

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Paul_Reading, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Paul_Reading

Paul_Reading Well-Known Member

My mother who is too old for digital has used a Canon IXUS for years. It is simple and easy to use with good enough quality. Recently she has returned the cameras to me as the films have been discontinued. I never saw an announcement to this effect. Sure enough I have looked at both Kodak and Fuji and neither is offering APS film in the UK, but Fuji seems to still sell it in the US.

This is such a shame as the Canon it a super quality camera (why don't they make them this quality today, noit a hint of plastic inthe body at all) and in perfect working order.

Did anyone else notice the passing of APS?

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

You're never too old for digital, plenty of elderly people use it and enjoy it.

Plastic in cameras is partly subjective, for some parts it is probably better, we just associate it with inferiority and cheapness. I never really quite saw the point in APS myself, the target market for it were early movers to digital capture.

3. Paul_Reading

My mother is over 70. She does not have a computer or email address, she cannot operate a machine in Jessops she cannot load a 35mm film. APS simply drops in if offers a pseudo variety of user selectable formats .

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

You do not need a computer or email address. You do not need to be able to operate a machine in Jessops. A memory card can be presented to a shop and prints collected, just as you would with film. A digital camera is no more difficult to use than a film camera. It is partly a mindset, I know octagenarians who happily use digital camera and indeed think they are wonderful.

Incidentally a number of ebay sellers are offering in date APS film stock from Fuji and KOdak.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  5. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

There's some on this forum! Also many members are well over retirement age - including me :)

If anything it's easier to remove/replace a digital memory card than film from a film camera.

6. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

Sounds similar to my mother in law, although she keeps trying to take already developed films to be D7Ped as well as trying toi load them into her camera as though they were new. Tempted to print the status symbols at A3 for her to keep in the pouch.Oh, she's very good at putting the battery in wrong way up as well!

7. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

My wife has trouble with digital cameras, especially the shutter lag when taking photos of our grandson, who moves at 100mph.

Fortunately she is quite happy with her Olympus zoom compact, with Christmas at either end of the film!

8. Paul_Reading

I agree but she has no computer and getting a set of en-prints from a digital card is not straightforward.

9. Roy5051

Just a thought, Paul, but have you considered buying her a single use camera, to see how she gets on with it? I know they don't have zooms, but the results can be at least as good as a cheap digital camera.

10. Paul_Reading

I haven't gone down that route yet, she only gave me the camera back yesterday.

11. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

... you just take the card to a camera shop or supermarket photo counter and ask for prints - couldn't really be much more straightforward than that!

12. Roy5051

13. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

And if all this is too much, as I already pointed out APS film is available from a number of ebay sellers. I assume that you are prepared to order it for her.

14. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

One of my aunties does that bit for my Granny....think my Mum got her the camera (a basic pink Samsung compact or something). Granny knows how to switch it on and take a pic so I don't suppose it matters to her what kind of recording medium is used.

15. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

APS came out about the same time as cameras like the MJU II auto loading and some with data backs and also quite small, it made them have little advantage. I was thinking of getting one simply because a really high quality compact one can really cheap and they're tiny, but lack of available B&W film has put me off. I think the best film available for it is Superia 400, rebranded as Nexia 400 if that is the same stuff?

16. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

My mum took about 3-4 years to switch. :) She is over 70.

She was still using film and digital ( got her alittle Canon A510 as she had a Canon Sureshot for film) until she went out a got herself a new digital camera without me saying a word. It's nice high end Lumix compact. She uses that now all the time.

Just takes the memory card to the photo printer when needed.

No computer work. All jpgs. Easier than film because she still has them on the card until she collects them.

She only been interested in 6x4 for her scrap book really.

When she visits I back them up for her onto CD or DVD depending on the data on the card.

But she could easily ask the photo printer do that as well.

Some have started throwing that in for free I believe to act as digital negs.

Finally she like using a back screen to OVF.