1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

APS/C not entirely abandoned

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Wheelu, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Sony have finally introduced a new model in their crop frame mirrorless range, the a6300

No new lenses though, it appears to be offered with the existing 16-50 standard zoom. A bit like coupling a racehorse to a coal cart.

Sony appears to see their future in full frame terms, which is possibly beyond the price point of many UK amateur shooters.A great pity, as the crop frame mirrorless cameras offer a super combination of image quality with portability and affordability.

2. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

How long before they abandon cameras altogether?

3. Speedbird

Speedbird Active Member

It never feels like Sony are in anything for the long haul, except that game box thingy perhaps.

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

The a6300 looks good, but yes, we need a few more lenses. A compact 50-150mm zoom would be my top priority, then a 23mm f2 prime and a 70mm macro. Having said that, if they bring out an a5 (feature-stripped a7) and it is around the same price as the a7 now, I really can't see a reason for sticking with the APS-C sensor.

5. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

While the full frame body is wonderfully compact, FF good lenses are not, so if light weight and compactness is the attraction you have to go with the smaller sensor. I have both a FF set up (Canon) and the Sony NEX, but my preference is almost always the smaller camera.

I would like to see Tamron and Sigma have a go a making a few decent quality and reasonably priced zooms for the smaller sensor. The Zeiss 16-70 f4 hits the sweet spot in terms of size and specification, but the reviews have not been encouraging. A great pity.

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Well if I did go to the a7, I'd probably get a Nikkor 20mm or 24mm AIS and a Nikkor 105mm macro lens to go with it. Then I could switch between the digital and film bodies at will. Nikon's large sensor cameras are as a hippo to a greyhound, otherwise I'd see that as an easier route.

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I have seen great reviews/images from the SEL1670Z but sample variation is the drawback. Get a good one and you're laughing; a poor one and you're crying at £700 wasted.

8. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

A light, compact 20-80mm with perhaps constant aperture would have been a welcome semi*-innovation, Wheelu. Do Sony still share (ie. borrow) lens designs from Nikon?

Why do camera makers keep doing this "Me, too!" thing with lenses? Cheers, Oly

* Pentax were sort of there first but with 30mm, 60mm & 120mm M-series lenses. With digital & buying Olympus, Panasonic & Sigma lenses it's possible to match Pentax on mF/T cameras.

9. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Interestingly the lens is currently cheaper in the UK than in the USA. Amazon are quoting £548.83 delivered while across the counter at BH NYC its $998 which works out at £689.70 using the current Visa rate.

I'm slightly tempted as I will return it if it is de-centred :rolleyes:

10. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Nikon use Sony sensors so I guess there's still a goodly amount of cooperation with lens design.

Japanese companies share a long history of collaboration, cooperation and mutual growth