1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

April, 2009 - FirstView Comments

Discussion in 'FirstViews [Archive]' started by huwevans, Apr 1, 2009.

1. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

This thread is for comments arising from the April 2009 picture thread.

2. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

Bloomin' Nora! These are all getting a bit fancy and technical aren't they? The idea is to take a picture that is a snapshot of the day; not beautifully arranged, not doctored, not fancily photoshopped. Just as it is, straight out of the camera.

Otherwise this just turns into another Appraisal/Exhibition Gallery, And then wahat is the point? [​IMG]

3. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Nah, only Richard & Mike's are kinda 'pretty' or set up. But if thats what theyve been up to today so be it. I know what you mean, but weve only got six so far, plenty time left yet :) I dont post mine til the end of the day when Ive got one that reminds me of what I got up to today :)

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Everyone else's pictures are nice...mine is just rubbish...

5. miked

miked Well-Known Member

"Rubbish is valuable to some people." (A. Steptoe)

6. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Exactafeckinmundo! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

7. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

Does that mean you agree, or are you taking the piss?

8. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

He agrees! :)

FirstView always hovers somewhere between it's true purpose - images that genuinely reflect the daily lives (however ordinary and un-photogenic they might be) and something where people actively look for a nice picture to take for FirstView, whether it was really part of their day or not - if you see what I mean.

Of course it's frequently impossible to judge, just as a browser of the picture thread, but one does often get the impression that the real point is being missed, quite a lot of the time. I'm afraid I think that's just one of the things we have to accept - people will interpret the brief in different ways, and perhaps sometimes differently on different occasions. I don't think there's a lot we can do about that. (Although an open discussion like this every so often probably helps.)

9. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Did you ever decide to do the calendar thingie?

10. TheFatControlleR

Most definitely agree. Something I've regularly ranted about here and elsewhere.

11. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Okay... so mine was made up but photo was taken this morning

12. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

I would have liked to have done it, but just didn't have enough time. I'm definitely at (probably beyond, in fact) the point where I'm just not willing to give any more time to doing stuff on forums. I'm quite happy to cooperate if someone else wants to put in the time and arrange it, though.

13. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

I spent all morning sat on a decking by a pond doing course work and taking photos with a 400mm lens. The Mallard shot is a true reflection of my day. What's the problem?

14. TheFatControlleR

Not sure anyone said there was a problem, per se...

15. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

My comments certainly weren't singling anyone out - as I say, it's difficult if not impossible to judge individual cases, merely as someone browsing the picture threads. But I do say that sometimes I get the impression that there's a lot of images submitted that aren't really what FirstView is meant to be about. Either that or a surprisingly large number of forum members lead quite unusually photogenic lives. ;)

16. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Hmmm, normally when I put one in for First View it's just a snap. This morning I was trying out a new tripod in the garden. I took a few to check Live View worked and then added one of the shoot to First View, but next time I'll try and remember: Cheap, cheerful, and purely of the moment. Anyhow, guilty as charged. Clang, mind yer fingers!

17. Wheelman

Wheelman Well-Known Member

I was hoping that they would still be re-surfacing the road outside which would have provided a few more mundane opportunities. :)

I have resolved to take out the little R6 on my daily walk (on doctors orders :()to get a snap for firstview. Todays was a view I go past every day, although todays weather did help!

Of course there is also the possibility that certain people couldn't take a bad picture even if they tried (and I definitely don't include myself amongst them :D)

18. 4BIKER2

4BIKER2 Well-Known Member

Sorry for missing the point again, I must be incurable :)

19. parisian

parisian Well-Known Member

Well I put a frame round mine but then I always do for presentation. Otherwise straight from camera - Coolpix 5000, downsized for web use, on to Flikr then to here. if that is too much then I am sorry I don't know any other way to do it :D

20. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Re: April, 2009 - Thanks Colin...

...thank you very much ;)

Cheers,

Jack