1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Appraisal: Seals

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by AGW, Aug 23, 2014.

1. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

We were talking about seal disturbance in the office the other day, the conversation had been triggered by this recent publication:-

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/0045/00452869.pdf

This reminded me of the Damien's Appraisal article featuring a photo of a seal and pup. So I dug out the mag and we had a round table discussion.
    The summary of our thoughts...a 200mm lens even on a crop body means that you have to get reasonably close to get that level of detail. The freshly disturbed sand in front of the adult seal and the sand around its eye show that the seal had been resting, lying flat. There is direct eye contact with the adult (aesthetically the eye contact makes the photo).

We concluded that the shot shows the first signs of disturbance/stress and represents poor field craft. There is lots of guidance on the internet eg.
    http://www.ukmarinesac.org.uk/activities/recreation/r01_08.htm

People going to places like Donna Nook where this type of photography is promoted (through AP) need to be more aware of the needs of the seals and their protection. They need to be aware of field craft and have equipment which allows them to get good images without impacting on the seals. Damien says "Alex's proximity to the mother and the way he has her bursting into the side of the frame creates a deal of impact."

Graeme

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  2. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

A very good point, Graeme.

I suspect that many amateur (and maybe some professional) wildlife photographers are unaware of both the law and principles of good practice relating to the disturbance of their "subjects". Field craft really is key.

Eric

3. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Sorry to pick this up rather late. I Googled "Donna Nook" and found the Wiki article with its expected cautions etc., but also more interestingly, the TripAdvisor page. It would appear that the Nature Reserve car parks have been extended, and that some seals are choosing(?) to be very close to the fence. I've no idea whether there's any truth in the comments, but the Tripadvisor comments suggest that the place is very successful for the seals.