1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Apply Crop Factor To Aperture ?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Bazarchie, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I have always considered that the crop factor should be applied to the focal length of a lens but not the aperture. However, the internet seems to be divided on this subject.

Is there a right answer?

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

F numbers are simply the focal length of a lens divided by the diameter of its aperture. If the focal lenth is 50mm and the aperture is 25mm the F stop is 2.0. It doesn't matter what the size of the the sensor is - the F number will still be the same. If anyone thinks otherwise find out what they're drinking! ;)

Roger Hicks and RogerMac like this.
  3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

In terms of exposure, makes no difference. In terms of DOF, then yes, it does.

ChrisNewman and Roger Hicks like this.
  4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The focal length of the lens is what it is, and the (max) aperture defines the F number. All the crop factor does is to account for the size of the sensor relative to 35 mm.

There have been a couple of articles in AP discussing apparent depth of field and equivalence of effective focal length if that's what you are thinking of.

ChrisNewman and Roger Hicks like this.
  5. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Absolutely, and another reason why I like to think in terms of magnification instead of focal length when considering Dof.

...for larger subjects it's fairly easy to guesstimate if the field of view at the plane of focus is tens, hundreds or thousands of times bigger than the sensor and get a feel for how much to stop down.

6. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

A "crop factor" also needs to be applied to the very rough-and-ready rule of "1/focal length". This is just about adequate for full frame 35mm but smaller formats require higher shutter speeds (because the magnification is higher for a given print/screen size) and bigger formats can be correspondingly relaxed (assuming the camera can be held steady).

Cheers,

R.

ChrisNewman likes this.
  7. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Thanks, that is all I need.

This is what I meant by applying the crop factor to the focal length. No issues with this.

This factor is something I try to get away with, or use a factor lower than the Canon 1.6. I also allow for IS. I cannot hold a long lens as steady as I used to so all this usually means having to use a high speed.