1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apparently there is something coming in the new year plus a few months.

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by Learning, Oct 28, 2021.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

If the Z9 sells as well as the D4/D4s the stock at launch would need to be a couple of months’ production, or around 3,000 to 4,000 units, based on sales of around 100,000 in the four years of production. Canon and/or Sony numbers for top end bodies are probably similar.

If Grays and Park Cameras pre-orders are representative, a UK total of 1,000 might not be unreasonable. This would suggest that total sales, given continuing internet at a similar level, could exceed that of the D3 and D4 models combined.

Both Canon and Sony have recently launched flagship models, meaning they will be working on the replacement, reckon on a two year gestation period. Nikon may actually be ahead because of the time from announcement to release being longer than normal. (I am assuming that work on a Z9 II will have started as soon as the Z9 design was frozen). We will have to wait and see if Nikon can manufacture Z9s fast enough to meet demand, or whether demand falls off.

2. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Like the car manufacturers, perhaps the camera manufacturers may have reason to reconsider their complete dependency upon the integrated circuit manufacturers. Whilst I find all this debate interesting, in the real world (where everything has to be paid for) I find it about a relevant as medieval debates about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin (note - personal opinion expressed).

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have to say that I find the absolute reliance on integrated circuits to be of some concern. The precision of control available with digital systems is admirable but given the choice between a very accurate system that doesn’t work because a 5p chip has failed or a moderately accurate system that does work, my decision will be for the latter. Time I think for some diversification in supply for automotive, aviation and photographic sectors (to name but three).

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

How about an F2, choice of 1 prime to suit the occasion,with 5 rolls of try X in the bag, and one's current DSLR and favourite lens in the hand.
    I admit that when the F2 was all the rage I was a Pentax SP ii user, I think; it was a long time ago. I still have the Pentax and 300mm F4.

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I never owned an F, F2 or F3. I did have some F4s bodies and I still have my F5s, which all bar one of my lenses will work with. I prefer Ilford to Kodak so it would be HP5 not Tri X I may still have some somewhere.

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The D5s at the price I am prepared to pay aren't up to the standard I would like so I bought a D4S which is practically unmarked. I'll wait a bit longer for the pair of D5s.