1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apparently there is something coming in the new year plus a few months.

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by Learning, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Zak52

Zak52 Well-Known Member

My Barbour jacket has inside game pockets which just hold a DSLR…..I’ll try it with a flash gun attached tomorrow :)

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Keep the camera in one and the flash in the other.

3. Zak52

Zak52 Well-Known Member

Where there’s a will there’s a way….

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

When, or if, I sell mine then other owners might well be doing the same thing. So yes there might be a flood. I cannot see it happening for at least a couple of years. Nikon make nothing better to satisfy my photographic wants.

5. Zak52

Zak52 Well-Known Member

I do look forward to getting my hands on one. It’s my affordable ‘grail’ ambition.

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have been looking at D5 bodies, they are coming down in price but a D4S would be nice too.

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Hmm. I think Fuji are the only company making APS-C lenses that are desirable but their bodies are as dear as FF alternatives. I'm not invested in any particular system but I cannot see Nikon expanding the crop sensor Z lens line up in an appealing way.

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I agree. I think Nikon’s venture into DX format mirrorless may turn out to be a blind alley. A DX lens doesn’t need to be as large a diameter as does an FX lens meaning that the Z mount results in excessively large lenses in DX format. Using F mount lenses on a Z mount body with the FTZ adaptors adds 100g to 125g to the weight negating any weight advantage of the mirrorless system.

I really hope Nikon knows what it is doing.

Zou likes this.
  9. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Well, Nikon used the F-mount for full frame (film) then DX-format digital then full-frame digital. I think the possible issue they currently have is making lenses with the Z-mount that only give DX coverage. Having gone to the trouble of developing such a modern, large mount it does seems a bit crazy to "strangle" some lenses by not giving them full-frame coverage. I'd be interested to know the cost savings on the optical elements by making them DX-sized rather than full frame

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Having been a Nikon user for more than 30 years I find myself thoroughly underwhelmed by the current product line. The only camera body I would aspire to is the D5/D6 (I know they are different but not by enough to pay twice as much for a 6). There are a couple of interesting lenses, but aside from a 300 f4 AF-S or a 200-500 f5.6, they only represent upgrades to what I already have.

If Nikon wants my money I need to be inspired and the Z series doesn’t do that, at least not for me. The Z9 is the closest to meeting my requirements but it is heavier than what I have.

End of term report: Tries hard but seems to fall slightly short of its competition.

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Seems that others don’t agree with me, Gray’s say they are taking deposits for large numbers of Z9 bodies.

12. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Possibly from professionals who dare not risk being left behind in the technology arms race, plus some (very) wealthy non-professionals who want to be seen with the latest hardware. The Park Cameras website currently invites purchase (no mention of the option of a deposit) with the warning 'Pre-order today for first UK stock. Available for delivery 'Winter 2021'. They offer anybody with a 'like new' D850 a generous PX of £1,340.00.

13. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

In saw o figure of 500k pre-orders worldwide, could well be internet wibble though. If it is actually true some are going to have a long wait, I have already seen other Z cameras being sold with the seller claiming to be upgrading to a Z9 they had ordered. Personally I would wait till it arrived.

14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

MPB are selling "Excellent" used D850s for £2,089 which doesn't give Park Cameras much margin. Given that MPB have 50 of them in stock, any taken as trade in will probably sit around for a while.
    As someone who bought one of the first F5 bodies I would agree with that, I didn't trade in my F4s bodies until I was ready to buy a second F5 (I still have both F5s).

As an aside, I see that Park Cameras are offering the EN-EL18D at £179 which is all of £10 cheaper than an EN-EL18C! I think I will stick with my third party EN-EL18s at under £40.

15. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Sony and Canon do not tempt me either.
    That 200-500 f5.6 Nikkor is optically good, but the ergonomics are not ideal. I am not complaining. It is very good value. In the unlikely event that I go mirror-less then I would keep that lens and use it on a converter. I cannot comment about the 300 f4 AF-S.
    Your aspiration to own a D5/D6 and my liking of my D500 are just down to personal choice. Both have the same AF system, both have the same control layout. The approx 20Mpixel DX sensor of the D500 is more appropriate for what I do. I also like the lighter weight body.
    Sooner or later the advantages of mirror-less will win; they are very close.
    I hope Geoff that as sales of the Z9 build, many D6 bodies in excellent condition come on to a buyers market and that you are able to get a couple. I will not be competing with you.

16. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I was in Park Cameras store in Burgess Hill yesterday and it appears they have over 100 pre-orders for the Z9, the comment was "the Z series seems to have caught on". They didn't expect to deliver all the pre-ordered cameras until Easter.
    It seems that the 300 f4 AF-S doesn't do what I need, it only works with a TC-14, it should work with a D4/5 or 6 as they auto focus down to f8 but I still have a D3 so that makes the lens a non-starter.
    I looked at a couple of D5 bodies but they both had some unacceptable, to me, damage to the lower LCD so I decided to look elsewhere. There are increasing numbers around though and probably more in the new year when the Z9s become available.

17. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I suspect Easter may be an optimistic piece of timing, given the supply difficulties currently being experienced, with no signs of an improvement. Of course they have caught on, there are sufficient people out there who can find the price of the system and must have the absolute latest and therefore best kit. How many will ever come near realising it's potential is another matter.

18. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Easter next year, or some other Easter in the future? I am currently having a similar problem with a local builder who told me in December 2020 that he would not be able to do my roof repair 'until March or April' and I stupidly didn't ask him to confirm what year. I'm still waiting, but at least I haven't paid any money yet.

Surely there is a risk that by the time Nikon can supply these camera bodies they may be obsolete, because Sony or Canon have something in development that they may wisely keep quiet about until they have a few thousand ready to sell?

19. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Canon R3 looks good but I don’t know what the supply is like. AP are enthusiastic about it this week.

20. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

All manufacturers have the same issues with semiconductor supply.