1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

APOY Round 4 Wildlife - Near Misses

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by PMurrell, Jul 28, 2016.

1. PMurrell

PMurrell Well-Known Member

Not meaning to sound like sour grapes but it appears the criterias between the Wildlife and Macro rounds have crossed over? Or have I misread/misunderstood? I am happy to be corrected.

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Now you know what happens when you read the Round description!! Get accused of being far too literal in your interpretation. :( Glad you haven't given up! I have.
    Good capture above!

3. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I assume you mean the first place shot. Can't see the issue really. It's wildlife. I wasn't aware of any lens stipulations in the rules.

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

What happened to the scary monsters bit? If no-one takes a blind bit of notice of the theme, do the judges just abandon it? Glad I don't enter those things.

5. abandonedbritain

abandonedbritain Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

51st place for my entry, picked for pic of the week in the 6th August mag tho :D

PMurrell and Catriona like this.
  6. RovingMike

Closer to the theme than the winners, that's for sure.

7. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

Yes thats scary alright! But it was not placed anywhere in the competition, where none scary monsters was! Sour grapes well yes sort of..........

8. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I should have put in this one of someone I used to work with. Here she is telling our boss where he went wrong!
    2435694417_68e19b487d_z.jpg

9. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

My Pic of a sheep was scary....It had horns anyway! :)

10. lm1

lm1 Well-Known Member

Here's my 51st place.
    I'm really not sure about the APOY round 'titles' - from what I can gather, the titles don't seem to match the fuller round details - the 'scary monster' bit doesn't connect with the rest of their guidance. As I said in the abstract round the “sense of doubt” title just seemed to be there to jazz it up a bit and make it sound more interesting than just ‘abstract’, ‘wildlife’ etc? I could be wrong – probably am as I’m still in 51st place!!!
    [​IMG]

11. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Aren't they all titles of songs by David Bowie?

Cheers, Jeff

12. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

The add-on in the titles are just a Bowie tribute. It doesn't matter how small the subject, as long as it's wildlife. I think the winning shot is fine, and deserved. Why all the moaning every month? Don't get it.

Craig20264 likes this.
  13. PMurrell

PMurrell Well-Known Member

Corrected.

14. RovingMike

As before, I think you are right, but interpretation of the theme is a poor third place in the criteria they set out: Points are awarded to each image for creativity, technical excellence and how well the image fulfils the brief.
    So we can only assume that the winners are winning with high scores in the first two and fat zeros in the last.

15. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

I dont think anybody moans about the pictures that win they are very good! its just the fact that the title of the theme for the competition does not always match the result, so it maybe just as wise to enter any picture that has slight connection to the competition.......its all good fun anyway and does not cost anything.......

16. RovingMike

A tactic I have known people use with success in club competitions, even when the marks are 50/50 for interpretation.

17. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Hmm! This month is 'macro' - I don't possess a macro lens, so do I submit something that does not conform to the round title in the belief that interpretation is open to question? I have the feeling that if I did my image would get short shrift from the judges.

18. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

Any slight connection to the competition? It is clear from the APOY round description that the brief includes the whole animal kingdom, wild or domesticated, large or small. It seems to me that every image has easily fulfilled that.

Love the pigeon picture by the way - I would have given it points but some you win, some you lose. There's always a next time.

PMurrell likes this.
  19. RovingMike

I suspect most entrants don't, so have to assume anything close up, or a little cameo will do. You can always crop down a long way if your file size is big enough. Will also help you get better DoF.