1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

APOY 6 Failure Gallery (Street)

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by PMurrell, Sep 22, 2015.

1. PMurrell

PMurrell Well-Known Member

2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

A bit too tight on the framing I suspect. Would I be right in assuming you little more than a fraction of a second to get any kind of shot?

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Happy to join you Peter. Yes, I remember that one and agree it is probably one of those drat! moments, but too good to miss. Sorry you didn't make it this month.

I didn't expect to get anywhere (honestly) but I was so sick of my atrocious summer weather that I submitted a manipulation just as a protest! Haha!
    Called it:

Ghost Town

[​IMG]

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Possibly not quite 'proper' street but I definitely approve.:cool:

5. Catriona

Cheers Nigel! I know, not proper street, but my 'protest vote' to the weather all the same! lol
    What a year it has been. I rather think there will be more than one of us down in the dumps this winter. I'm just trying to figure out a project for myself to keep my head above the waterline. No Salons for me and I just can't be bothered to put a book together, so what? I don't know.

Onwards and downwards...

Kate

6. PMurrell

Indeed you are right.

7. PMurrell

Well I managed to score twice so far this year (one better than last year) so I can't complain. Then again...

Your submission is quite effective. I like it.

8. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The tight framing does it no favours. along with the post. The tones are not really ideal, for my taste anyway, like the subject though!

9. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

10. PMurrell

Cheers Nimbus. This previously was put up for Appraisal back in October 2014 and is a crop that had included 3 posts in the frame. see comments http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?118982-Look-Back

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  11. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

This was mine, didn't make the list

[​IMG]

12. londonbackpackr

londonbackpackr Well-Known Member

Well I'm staggered! My first entry this year in APOY and I managed to get a top 30 placing (23rd) :D

13. Catriona

Well done!! None of the names was familiar to me so I didn't realise. That's brilliant!

14. lm1

lm1 Well-Known Member

Here's my failed offering...

[​IMG]

15. londonbackpackr

londonbackpackr Well-Known Member

16. lm1

lm1 Well-Known Member

Yes well done indeed - great spot!

17. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

If what they're after is 'genuine' street photography, I don't think these shots fit the genre. Urban, yes. Street, no.
    The bab on the bike is the closest to being street, but as said by Nimbus, the tight framing and the post hurt it. The window distracts too.

18. lm1

lm1 Well-Known Member

I can't say I understand the finer differences of these two genres - this was the info from APOY and I would have thought they all fit the criteria?

Street photography is as popular as it ever was and is easily accessible to most photographers. Even if we don’t live in a street alongside other people, we almost certainly travel to, and work in, places where the rich tapestry of street life chugs on like a well-oiled machine. All you have to do is photograph it, and show the rest of the world what happens in that location. There can be a great temptation to head to the biggest, most bustling place you can find, but you don’t need to. Street pictures can be shot as easily beside the quiet and seemingly empty village post office as they can among the maddening crowds that stream past the Bank of England.
    This round is about capturing the atmosphere of a place, and to do that a picture needs to show that place and what goes on there. We don’t have to be able to detect where the picture was taken, but we do need to get a feel for what it is like to be there and what sort of people we’d be likely to meet. So get out there and keep your eyes peeled.

19. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Street photography as a genre is far more than just images which have been taken on the street, nor is it limited to streets. Alas, far too few people appreciate this and so the genre has become so diluted that it is now to all intents and purposes useless as a term any more.

20. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say that atmosphere is key in street, although it is important in many examples of good street shots, but if it were, i'd still say all of the shots in this thread fall short of meeting that criteria. Sorry to be harsh.

I could walk out tomorrow and snap shots of people in the street in Brum and show what happens on the street and get a feel for it's vibrancy, busyness and atmosphere, but they'd probably still fall well short of decent street work. It's a deceptively difficult genre to get right. Capturing some sort of narrative, depicting life in that street or scene, or just catching a cracking character in a great setting is hard enough in itself, but when you add the requirement for great compositional skills and interesting or creative use of colour and light, it gets harder still.

See the Street album in my link. To me, that album is about as street as I get, and i'm not convinced it's even that street. It ain't easy.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015