1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

APOY 2017

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PhotoEcosse, Mar 22, 2017.

1. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I don't seem to be able to post a new thread in the APOY section of the Forum. Is it only me?

Anyway, I was trying to do that in order to ask what others think about the fact that, in the 2017 APOY competition, entrants can now buy additional paid-for entries as well as the one free entry in each round?

Does the ability to submit four entries fundamentally alter the nature of APOY?

Catriona likes this.
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Didn't even notice it was up and running again.
    I have no doubt there will be folk who think the more entries the better chance of winning. Who knows? It might boost their chances (and APs coffers).
    My own feelings are that unless you feature on the first (and maybe second) batch of those shortlisted, there's no point in submitting anything more.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I couldn't figure out the description of the marking as written in AP. It reads as if the two winners of each month round go into the final to have an overall winner drawn from the round winners rather than the points system of before - sort of best of the winners rather than most consistent entry over the year(ish). I haven't been to the web-site to look at the detailed T&C.

4. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

I don't want this to sound like sour grapes but I do enter the APOY competition, and always look forward to the first round, could I say how disappointed I was to learn that AP as more or less handed the competition over to Photocrowd where you can post your usual single entry or pay for several other entries, I was a member of Photocrowd until they started sending loads of emails advertising different competitions it got to the point that I have recently deleted my account! I have to say that on their web site they have some of the best photographers and best pictures that I have ever seen, there were a lot of foreign sounding names too, of course most of these people are paying to have their pictures on there.....which leads me to the question what chance have I got when I enter just one single picture? I do not wish to pay for extra entries, so my mind is made up I shall not be entering APOY again! under the present circumstances.....

Catriona likes this.
  5. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that I'll sign up to Photocrowd and submit one picture for each category. I didn't rate my chances last year and I don't rate them this year - I just like to try and come up with something for each category and use the deadlines as a bit of photographic motivation.

The potential increase in the number of entrants isn't really an issue either - the competition is supposed to be for amateur photographers, but some past winners have only avoided being classed as 'professional' as a result of careful semantics. I can't see an reasonable way of legislating against entries from (ahem) amateur photographers who run design (but most definitely not photography) companies, nor can I think of any way of excluding entries from people who've never even heard of AP before. I just have to accept that the situation is what it is, and that there's nothing to be gained by worrying about it.

In an ideal world I'd love to see APOY entries limited to readers - it'd be nice to think that a chance at winning some of the goodies on offer was a reward for showing loyalty to the magazine - but I'm afraid it ain't going to happen as long as I've got a hole in my bottom!

Cheers, Jeff