1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

APOY 2011 Results Round Eight - Shooting Skies

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Roy5051, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

I'm glad I had my lights on when trying to view the top 30 of this competition - everything is S-O-O-O dark, not helped by the black background to the pages. Sorry but I could not appreciate any of the pictures properly, due to the method of presentation.

2. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

I thought it was just me.

3. CBestwick

CBestwick Member

Hi,

Could I just ask a general question about email submissions?

I know there's a difference between looking at an image on a monitor versus a printed image, but I believe there's also a difference between monitors calibrated for printing compared to general use monitor settings (i.e., those used for everyday tasks like viewing websites).

When I submit my shots for the competition, should I work on the premise that the images will be viewed on a monitor calibrated for print or for general use? I notice that my entry has printed much darker in the magazine compared to how it appears online and I'm concerned that this will have a negative affect in judging; if I know how it will be viewed, I can make suitable adjustments.

Do other people find they have the same problem?

Thanks,

Chris

4. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Good evening Chris

entries are viewed on monitors which are regularly calibrated to match the profile of the printing press used to produce AP*, additionally when the required RGB to CMYK conversion is applied a printer supplied profile is used.

That said over-inking errors can still occur, despite pre-flight checks, which I will investigate in light (no pun intended) of this thread.

regards
    m

*CMYK has a smaller gamut than RGB, which the monitor profile is intended to mimic

5. CBestwick

CBestwick Member

Hi Mark, thanks for the reply.

I know there is generally a disparity between monitor luminance when calibrated for print compared to general use - I bought a spider to calibrate my monitor after constant problems with printing only to find that at the required luminance value, my monitors contrast and colour response made it unusable.

What has struck me is how little this seems to be appreciated within (amateur) photography and how, as photographers, we have to live with this duality in terms of print requirements versus general usage and monitor ability. Knowing about it at least gives us a shot at countering the situations we aren't set-up or calibrated to deal with).

I'll make sure that my future email submissions are adjusted accordingly, though it doesn't help the B&W submission I've made in the past few days. :(

Incidentally, I believe I have a fix for this problem but no-ne within the industry will speak to me about it (too worried about being accused of stealing ideas). :rolleyes:

Regards,

Chris