1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Aperture v Lightroom

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by pentaxbuddy, Dec 12, 2013.

1. pentaxbuddy

pentaxbuddy Member

Which do members feel is best for image processing, particularily for dealing with noise and moire and slight underexposure in raw and jpeg pictures ex the Pentax K3. I currently have a slightly aging iMac running on 10.7.5 with 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM on a 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo but I am hoping to be able upgrade it sometime in 2014 if I behave myself!

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

The obvious answer is to suggest you try free trial versions of each and pick the one you prefer.

3. mrganderson

mrganderson Well-Known Member

Im an imac and Aperture 3 user. And as professional photographer it works perfectly for my needs. I especially like the way all Apple software works with each other. And i can drag and drop images from Aperture to and from iPhoto, pages, keynote and idraw etc. plus the peformace & ease of use of Aperture was great.

At the time of moving from a pc and adobe, aperture 3 was equal if not slightly ahead of Lightroom 3.
    However in the last couple of years lightroom has advanced to version 5 while Aperture has really just stood still. Im still happy with Aperture but if i was starting with a new system today id choose Lightroom 5.
    In fact the only thing that stops me from switching toLR5 is having to re organise all my images again into folders and albums.

4. wave

wave Well-Known Member

I use aperture 3 and i am pleased with it. for me its the interface i just prefer it. but you can try both before you decide

5. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

another thing to consider Adobe are offering 30% off LR5 before Jan 5th so if you are thinking about buying it now would be the time ...I'm looking at buying LR5 for Mac myself as I've just moved to Mac and now have a shiny new Imac 27" i7 ;o) but man what a leaning curve getting your head around Mac over PC

6. pentaxbuddy

pentaxbuddy Member

Lucky you! Moving to Mac from Windows is a lot easier than you think and is
    I think easier than going the other way. The only really hard bit is getting used to the Red, Yellow and Green Buttons being on the "Wrong Side". With regard to Lightroom, thanks for the info. I am tempted but other threads in other forums indicate that my current iMac is too low a spec to handle the latest versions. A new iMac is on the cards but probably not until the next version of its latest manifistation comes out, hopefully with CD / DVD reader writer built in.

7. southonline

I've also seen that LR5 is a resource hog so needs plenty of power, hence the reason I've not considered it till now

Red & Yellow buttons ughhh ....right now trying to come to terms with using the trackpad and remembering what fingers do what, although once I get my head around it I'm sure I'll love it

8. wave

wave Well-Known Member

i went from pc to mac and i will never go back

9. southonline

trust me with the upgrade cost I've just done with software and Macs I'm never going back lol...I WILL like it :p