1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AP test of the Sigma SD14

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by huwevans, May 5, 2007.

1. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Not a regular here either. I wonder who placed the call to Sigma fanboy central casting then... :(

2. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

Of course, you can always start your own magazine title...

3. Ian_Gianni

Ian_Gianni Well-Known Member

Actually I am a subscriber, but I may have missed the article that detailed AP testing techniques and methodology, however since I still have all the magazines for the last two years, if you care to tell me which issue(s) have the article I can go back and read it.

Thanks

Francesco

4. Ian_Gianni

Ian_Gianni Well-Known Member

Hmm what is exactly the point you are trying to make?

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

What you appear to have missed is the point...

Unlike all the measurbators, the prime feature of AP tests is how cameras perform in actual use, taking actual photos of actual subjects. As I don't spend an awful lot of time taking photos of test targets, I personally find that approach rather more useful...YMMV - maybe your favourite subject is test charts, I don't know. However, I would much rather trust full-time professional testers from a reputable magazine rooted in actual use of cameras over any number of self-appointed "experts" with access to test charts and Imatest. "Real world" testing will always introduce some elements of uncertainty and remove scientific rigour, but then the results are actually useful, IMHO - and as I said earlier in this thread I believe that virtually every online reviewer I've read has serious problems with test methodology - which is clearly much more critical if you're basing your review more or less entirely on test results.

Take an example that I have some personal experience of - vignetting on the EOS 5D. All the measurbators reported it as a significant issue; AP reported the absence of it in practical use. I can tell you that my experience is that it was visibly detectable in 1% of a sample of my shots (1800 that I took in a week in Cornwall at Easter) - although Imatest certainly reports it as worse than that (yes, I have access to it - and test charts, for that matter...). What does that mean? In my book, it means that AP was right - it's not a significant issue in actual use.

6. Angela_Nicholson

Angela_Nicholson Well-Known Member

Benchista I think I love you

7. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

Er, Angela, do you want this moved somewhere more private... ;)

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I can safely say that's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me on here... ;)

9. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Awww...what a sook :D (suspect that's not the worst thing you've been called on here :eek: )

Gotta love all those lens reviews where the test images are of the box...I dunno about you but I'd buy a lens that could take a nice picture of a box /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

10. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

'Cos it's the only nice thing anyone's ever said..... :D

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well, that is, of course, true... :D

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Again true... :D

:D

13. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

He's going to be unbearable for the rest of the week now - we'll have to try to bring him back down to earth by insulting him whenever possible, the big green tight-wearing jessie! :)

[Yes, I know that's a bit feeble, but I'm only just loosening up. :)]

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

A bit feeble? Good grief, that's a term of endearment by your normal standards! :D

15. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Oh, believe me, once I get started you'll know about it, you great big festering bladder of rancid pig manure! :)

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Ah, now that's better... :D

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I still think the best thing I've been called on here was "silly little man". Every time I think of it it makes me chuckle. :D

18. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Yes, you were quite proud of that one, as I recall. :)

19. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Extremely. Had it in my sig for ages - might put Angela's comment in now, though. ;)

20. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Nah..........current one suits........ :rolleyes: