1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AP site out of date?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Grierson, May 9, 2021.

1. Grierson

Grierson Well-Known Member

Having spent some years (and cash) chasing astronomy subjects I have recently come back to terrestrial photography. My goto site for news and information was always AP so it is with some sorrow that I find much of the content out of date. Can anyone shed light on why this should be or have I got it wrong? On the plus side it is nice to see many recognisable names still contributing to the forum. John

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The AP site is mainly a repository for magazine articles - so full of “old” stuff. I can’t say as I look at it that often and then mainly to find a review as I don’t keep the mag. once read. My impression has usually been that the front page looks familiar based on recent magazine content.

3. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Mostly old stuff/gits on forum as well.

Zou likes this.
  4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I believe - and this isn't official in any way, just my belief - that there's simply no money to keep all aspects of the site up-to-date. Magazine publishing isn't exactly a pot of gold these days, and AP is no longer owned by a multi-national corporation with big pockets and operating out of a flash office on the South Bank. In all honesty, I think they do a pretty good job in the circumstances.

SqueamishOssifrage, Gezza and GeoffR like this.
  5. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Me to! Yes the site is crap by modern standards and if I owned the magazine then I would be ashamed of it but and it’s a big BUT would a new bright and shiny website sell more magazines? The answer is NO so the publisher won’t spend any money on a new site. This leaves us with what we have. I don’t like many aspects to this site but I enjoy being here because of the people not the tech.
    Don

6. Grierson

Grierson Well-Known Member

Agreed. But surely it would not take much effort to delete the out of date and irrelevant material.

7. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Keep you hands off my Box Brownies, sunshine! :p

Zou likes this.
  8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Probably not but Kelsey probably have other priorities. I suspect they keep the site simply because the forums are used. Stop using the forums and I think the site would be stagnant.

9. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Be careful what you wish for - I belong to a few sites; this the AP site is so varied, has its own very supportive community, and it's nearly always worth dropping in. The other, concerned with transport is so strictly moderated it's untrue, and posts similar to ones here which have generated a fascinating thread side-shoot, have been "disappeared" without trace.

ascu75 likes this.
  10. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

And while your at it.