1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AP review of the E-P1

Discussion in 'Olympus Chat' started by nspur, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me, I'm still liekly to be out on Friday :cool:

2. Could have been me. Jessops delivered mine, with 14-42 lens, on June 30th and I used it at Goodwood from Friday to Sunday alongside my Nikon D700.

I have been very impressed both with its build quality and with the quality of the images. The built in IS is also great. I also tried cranking up the ISO and was impressed by how little noise was generated. The menu system is rather alien to me since my only other Olympus is my RD35 which looks and feels remarkably like the PEN.

This possibly explains why I keep lifting the camera to my eye !

Only problems I have found are:

1. I have had trouble preventing yellow flowers in bright sunshine from being blown out.

2. The continuous focus mode is unusable (see the AP Review)

3. Because each focus zone is so large, when photographing small objects it can be hit and miss as to what the camera focuses on. Being used to phase detection AF I am often caught out by the camera focussing on the edge of an object. However the contrast based AF did give me some superb shots of zebra at the zoo (seriously) which produced fantastic A3+ prints.

My wife and I have fallen in love again, this time with a camera !

3. parisian

parisian Well-Known Member

It does seem to be an attractive proposition - if and only if the firmware issues are addressed as suggested in the review. At the moment there do appear to be too many teething problems for it to be a viable prospect.

4. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Peter, I didn't take that the firmwear was a deal breaker from the review, more a 'it could be even better', especially when Barney concluded that he wanted one even with the current firmwear.

5. parisian

parisian Well-Known Member

I found that quite strange Barney to be honest. I thought some of the comments were quite damning from a user point of view, issues with focus and the digging that had to be done to discover the finest JPEG setting just as an example.
    From there I was quite surprised to see that final statement and was looking for the caveat, 'when it is sorted'
    The camera is obviously having a big impact on its testers either through its unique size/shape, its overall picture quality or its general 'quirkiness', which can on it's own give a new camera almost immediate icon status.
    I guess that if many reviews follow the pattern set by the AP one then the pro-active gentlemen at Olympus will get the firmware fixes in place sooner rather than later.

6. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

I think that the failings in the firmwear were shown in the final mark given for handling, but then in the real world they didn't seem to be relating to anything that I would be that bothered about e.g. I'll be shooting RAW as a matter of course and would probably not bother with the face recognition function for focusing anyway so it wouldn't put me off buying one.

7. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I don't think that Oly will ever satisfy all the P1's potential market with a single menu system. If they install a Nikon like one for you Barney they will annoy me (coming from an Oly base) and so on. Normally this would be a small point because if someone is moving systems then they soon get used to a revised menu. However the P1 is likely to sit as the second camera alongside some other system so it could be a potential problem for a long time.

I suspect that the only real solution would be to offer a choice of menu layouts - Olyish, Canonish, Nikonish etc. - and let the user chose one whenever the firmware is updated.

No douby canon and Nikon will immediately claim copyright on their layouts :eek: :mad:

Roger

8. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Now tailored menu systems would be a neat trick to carry off, but I don't see myself using the menu too much. I could be wrong, I'll have to wait and see just how much of the camera operation is menu driven, but I always shoots RAW and invariably on auto WB to correct if needs be in Lightroom. Apart from changing ISO, I can't think of too many reasons to delve into the menu.

9. RogerMac

Presuming that the P1's system is similar to my 510's then the "big four" - WB, ISO, AF and metering are right there on the back of the Camera. The only time I find myself delving into the menus is to set / unset the mirror up time as I put it on or off a tripod, and of course the P1 will not have a mirror :eek:

Incidently I think that you might change your mind and shoot RAW + SHQ when you get the P1 as Oly's top level JPGs are very difficult to improve, Personally I go to the RAW version a lot less than 5% of the time.

Roger

Edit; Typo

10. nspur

nspur Well-Known Member

I think it's rather a shame that AP is following the DPReview techno-review pattern but I do understand why.

For something a little more user-oriented try this review

I'm waiting for Michael Reichmann (Luminous Landscape) or one of his chums to publish a piece on it.

11. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I would not expect the first version of this concept to get everything right. The important fact is that this first version has got so close to what we want. By 'we' I mean enthusiast photographers. We are not even the target for this camera, yet we are seriously considering buying it. I have little doubt that a micro four thirds camera or something similar with a propriety mount will soon appear. Although I'm a Nikon DSLR user I am to some extent hoping that Panasonic/Leica are the first to get it right. Then I could buy something with that magic red dot.

12. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

My Sony HC5 camcorder has an excellent "Personal Menu" system which allows me to put my subset of Main Menu items on it. There's something similar on my EOS 1D MkIII, and again the feature helps with the practical problems of large, wide and deep menu systems.

13. RogerMac

At the moment I am (probably) waiting to see what December brings but if that went in I might bring forward the purchase to tomorrow :D :D

Roger