1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AP review of the E-P1

Discussion in 'Olympus Chat' started by nspur, Jul 11, 2009.

1. nspur

nspur Well-Known Member

I thought this review was very fair and accurate but maybe I would have given the camera a few more marks. I've had one for almost a week now. Unfortunately almost as soon as she saw it my wife grabbed it and I haven't been able to prize it from her fingers since.

2. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

I had a very hurried read through at my inlaws. This, combined with having a good look at one in the Leeds branch of Jessops has convinced me that to buy one. I took my D300 wit 20mm f:2.8 along for comparison and the size difference is stark.

My only question is when to buy. Do I shell out straight away as oon as the pancake kit is available, do I wait until the street price has dropped, or do I wait until I go to the States at the end of Novemeber when the street price will have dropped plus the benefit of lower prices over there? I suspec that I'll wait unitl the price has dropped, round about my birthday in September might be a good time. :cool:

3. Photocracy

Photocracy Well-Known Member

I don't think it will take too long to settle down to a reasonable price. Also, it's possible it could hold its value fairly well with it being such a significant 'first'. I can imagine the EP1 remaining a highly sought after camera for some considerable time as it could turn out to be quite a piece of history. Go on, get one now - you know you want to! :cool:

4. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Yeah, of coure I want to, but it's not available yet! Plus, the reasons I'm prepared to wait for the price drop are more diplomatic than financial. ;)

5. Photocracy

Photocracy Well-Known Member

Fair point; can't argue with your logic there. Re availabilty, I saw someone with one at Goodwood Festival of Speed; how are the lucky few getting hold of them?

6. alciphron

alciphron Member

That was probably Brian Mosley from the Olympus Photo Safari Group who gets loan kit direct from Oly.

He is bringing it for a street shooting meet in York on Friday evening. PM me if you are interested in coming. Or sign up here: Olympus Photo Safari Group

/Tom

7. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. My wife is away being a good grandmother. I handed her my elderly compact with the instruction to take lots of photographs in the hope she'll find it totally unsatisfactory and insist I get a new one. :eek: :D

8. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up. I spend a lot of time in York and would have liked to come but unfortunately I will not be there next Friday. If you want to want to post details of any similar functions I would try to be there.

Roger

9. nspur

nspur Well-Known Member

I was tempted by the Oly chap in Jessops New Oxford Street offering me one of those Cross pens if I bought then (last Monday) and as I do actually want a decent fountain pen I reckoned I would "save" over £75 that way. Of course the price will drop over time but it's such a lovely piece of kit that it was hard to resist.

10. nspur

nspur Well-Known Member

I've just found these shots taken with the E-P1 on fredmirands.com. See here

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Nice set of images. :)

For what it's worth, I've seen two in the metal (both silver, with the zoom), both around the necks of guests at the hotel I work in. Didn't get a chance to speak to the first, but the second had just bought it in London, and was using it in preference to his EOS 350D for two reasons. Firstly, he said, it was the size, and secondly, he just had to have it when he saw it. He was very pleased with IQ too.

I really do like it, but is it worth 10 Exc+ Pentax MXs? I'm really not sure - I'll have to get the mag on Tuesday.

12. T_Sargeant

T_Sargeant Well-Known Member

RE: The Pancake lens, Jessops are currently telling me they'll be in main warehouse this Friday, I'd imagine if no one else has them yet then it'll be about the same sort of time.

Incidentally I'm getting the pancake version, I keep looking on the system to see when it's going to arrive!

:)

13. nspur

nspur Well-Known Member

No it probably isn't but then that's different territory. I collect mechanical cameras and today I bought a very nearly mint Canon A-1 with the 50mm f1.4 lens working perfectly for £70 and is it worth 10 of these? No. And it isn't worth 20 EXC++ 1953 Lordomats (also bought today) either. Nor is it worth 140 200mm f3.5 Mamiya Sekor lenses for my Mamiya NC1000s. And how many Nikon F3s could you get for the cost of one Canon 5D Mk II? But your hotel guest is quite right. It is a compelling design that makes you want to use it and it does reward that use with good pictures and it might be as much of a modern-day classic as the original Pen F.

14. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Tom, I think I'm otherwaise enaged on Friday, but if not, is this soley for Olympus users or would a Nikon toting prospective E-P1 owner be welcome?

15. RogerMac

Fotosense are claiming stock (including the pancake) at the moment

Roger

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

As are SRS. :)

17. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

18. Bone_Idle

Bone_Idle Well-Known Member

Much as I am tempted by the E-P1, I'm thinking of compromising with a cheap E-450 body to use with my 25mm pancake and then seeing how the system develops.

This is a bit bigger than the E-P1 :

Olympus E-P1 126 x 70 x 36.4 mm (4.9 x 2.8 x 1.4 in) 410 g (0.9lb)
    Olympus E-450 129.5 x 91 x 53 mm (5.1 x 3.6 x 2.1 in) 455 g (1.0 lb)

But not much and it will be perfect for what I want. I compared one to my backup e-510 and it feels significantly smaller.

19. RogerMac

According to the advt. in the current AP Cameraworld has just broken ranks and is offering a minimum £50 trade in on any SLR. Presumably that applies to any old manky SLR so that looks awfully like a £50 discount

Roger

20. alciphron

alciphron Member

Of course! Unfortunately, Brian now can't make it on Friday with the E-P1 so we are looking to re-arrange in August.

Tom