1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ap priority

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by Alan Rushton, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Alan Rushton

Alan Rushton New Member

Hi, I am new to the Lumix TZ100 and keep coming up against the same problems. When I try to take a long distance shot on iA mode, it insists on setting the aperture to wide i.e. around f/2.8 which is a shallow dof and not what I want.
    So then I try to control the aperture with the Ap priority dial and choose a larger f - for narrow dof - that work but then, infuriatingly, I lose the half release shutter function. Grrrrrh!
    Any advice welcome.

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I agree. iA is a pain the way it automatically defaults to the widest aperture. It's OK for the times you make quick shots in an unfamiliar environment, but it is better to control the aperture. Set the camera on A for aperture, and look at your menu settings. You should find the half-release setting to choose off or on.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I don’t know the camera so what follows is based on guesses.

First guess - I suppose iA stands for intelligent Auto? All camera program modes will minimise exposure time when a long lens is used. This is to try to reduce camera shake. Depth of field depends both on the physical aperture and subject distance. If these are long distance shots then F2.8 might not be too bad for depth of field. A small sensor camera has a greater depth of field at a given distance at a given effective focal length than a full frame camera. For a 1” sensor it is about 3 stops worth. So F2.8 at effective 200 mm focal length is roughly the same as using f5.6 with a 200 mm lens on full frame.

In Aperture Priority mode the camera should let you set the aperture. This may result in too long an exposure time. It depends on what the camera does with ISO (the sensitivity setting). Many cameras let this vary as a second control on exposure time.

I don’t understand losing “half shutter release function”. All* cameras use half-press on the shutter release to trigger AF and metering. The release can’t not go through the half-release position when making an exposure.

*some may allow focus function to be assigned but metering is universal as far as I know.

Catriona likes this.
  4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

On the Lumix there is an option which if I understand it correctly appears to let you take the picture at half shutter release. It's not an option I have chosen, preferring half shutter to be the focus and exposure lock mode then fully depressed to take the shot. I do know there is a menu option though, so the OP has to look there to choose it if he wishes.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Ok tx, I wouldn’t have guessed. Sounds a bit pointless really.

Catriona likes this.
  6. Alan Rushton

Alan Rushton New Member

All theses responses really helpful and informative Thanks so much.