1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AP Newbie

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by BigFoo, Jan 13, 2021.

1. BigFoo

BigFoo New Member

Hi all.

I've just registered following my rekindled interest in photography as a result of Covid and retirement. I'm hoping to gain knowledge from the community to get me back up to speed after many dormant photographic years.

Equipment over the years includes Zorki 4, Minolta, Pentax ME super, Voiglander, Canon EOS. B&W D&P as a teenager.

Current interests include indoor portraits and macro but always looking for 'that' picture wherever I am.

Cheers

2. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Welcome,

New members can have a bit of a rough ride here so be prepared for some negative comments etc...... however if you survive the first few weeks you should find that we are generally a helpful bunch of mixed ages and abilities with one common interest - photography !

I've not reached retirement age yet (but am in the right decade) and I also used to do my own D&P many moons ago..... digital is a lot easier and less messy !

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Welcome and congratulations on retirement. I'm still trying to get used to it, five years on. I hope you find the forum and its members welcoming and helpful.

4. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Hello.

Have a look at the Exhibition Lounge, Relic Challenge.

S

5. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum! Dive in and have fun!

6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Welcome and don't be put off by Ivor's comment. Only the Lounge is an area where a thick skin is an advantage on some generally non photographic topics.
    Post anything of interest in the Exhibition Lounge. You won't be criticised. If you want critique then post in the Appraisal Lounge. Everyone is polite yet be to the point.
    The lounge often gets heated discussions where we let off steam. The mods keep us in order. Its a bit political in there on occasions. Most of the site is photographic as you might expect.

7. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

You've got an interesting collection of cameras. Many members here will be familiar with some (or all) of them.

I usually suggest that new members consider putting some of their favourite shots in a Reader Gallery on this website - do you have any way of scanning an image to create a digital file for uploading? (The suggested size is 800 pixels on the longer side). There are a great variety of member's images to look at - click on the 'Gallery' tab at the the top left of this page, and the first page will be the latest uploads, and then you can work backwards. Also, if you right click on a member's avatar (see left), their profile display appears and you can click on 'Media Page' to see if they have uploaded images.

Re. Covid restrictions: what I miss is the ability to go out hunting locally for 'that' picture. As long as the local schoolchildren are free to roam anywhere I might want to go, I don't feel very safe going out much (like you I'm retired). I regularly see groups of them walking or cycling nearby and happily ignoring all social distancing guidelines. My wife and I are waiting to get our jabs in time to go on holiday later in the year, but are not very optimistic.