1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

AP 27/8/2011 - EISA Awards and numbers of categories

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Aug 24, 2011.

1. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Thanks for that. One question:

I cannot see on the EISA site any shortlist for a given award or a general shortlist. As I pointed out there must be a cut off for considering camera. ie It would have been very difficult if not impossible to consider the Sony A65 or A77 (assuming pre-productions were floating around)

It seems at this time the EISA site has died. :)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  2. Richard Sibley

Richard Sibley AP Deputy Editor

Like I said, I've not attended an EISA meeting, but yes, presumably there is a cut off date for cameras. The recent Sony cameras will not have been included within that.

Like most awards there will be cut of dates, and these will sometimes 12 months apart.

At the AP Awards the camera must have been tested and the test published in the previous year. That doesn't mean announced, in our hands for a first look or camera we have tested in December, but not published until January. It has to be fully tested in an issue in a calendar year.

3. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Richard,
    Thanks for the helpful info about the Awards decision making process.

The reason I refered to 'photo-newcomers', as it were, was in relation to the overall award winner this year: an entry level camera. Obviously, pros and keen amateurs, thinking of buying - perhaps, a 1DS Mk3 or D3X or similar - will be doing so in a very different way and with different knowledge to the bulk of potential customers for the 600D. Should they (the pros) be buying a camera of the level of the 600D for whatever reason, one assumes the same applies!

Does AP differentiate, by the way, between a review and a full test? I seem to recall it used to. At the time of the EISA decision, had AP done a full test on it?

You may also be able to shed light on the single European testing lab thing. Was it only an idea? Did it actually come into being for a few years and then fade away? Or is it still operating? And was it AP that used it (in conjunction with other European photo mags) for a period or another magazine?

4. Richard Sibley

Richard Sibley AP Deputy Editor

Most of these will be questions for Damien - who is currently out of the office until next week. I'll forward him the thread so he can comment further.

I can tell you that the EOS 600D had a full AP Review by the time the awards were announced.

Currently for DSLR cameras we write a First Look, which will usually be 2 pages on our initial impressions of the cameras. Often the cameras wont have final versions of the software and often we wont have access to raw files. However, we comment on the specification, feature list, build and handling (if we have had access to the camera for long enough to comment) and our initial impressions of the image quality. These are just our initial thoughts and no score or final judgement is placed on the product.

A full test of camera takes up 6 pages of the magazine if it is a significant new camera. 'Upgraded' camera may receive less space, for example if Camera 1000 is replaced by Camera 1000X it may only receive a 3 page test, where as Generic Camera 2000, would receive a full 6 page test. There are exceptions, but this is the general rule with regard to page space. The shorter tests are still conducted in the same way as a full test, they just receive less pages in the magazine, as we concentrate our writing on the new or different features from the original camera.

After this we will often compare the camera to another signifcant camera. These sometimes take the form of straight comparison test, but more recently we have looked at relevant features and concentrated on these. For example the recent comparison of the Sony Alpha 55 and Canon EOS 1Ds MK IV concentrated on the AF speed and continuous shooting rate of the two cameras.