1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

AP 20th August: The Telephoto zoom test...

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by El_Sid, Aug 22, 2011.

1. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

While I realise the 500mm F4L Canon makes a very definite and consistent benchmark to compare the test lenses against I do wonder if it might not have been more relevant to compare them against Canon's 100-400 L zoom which appears to be the top end zoom that many enthusiasts (and a fair few pro's) favour. I think it would have been interesting to see whether the extra money for the Canon zoom actually gains you anything.

I was also a bit surprised that the 50-500mm 'Bigma' wasn't included as I would have thought that it must be a consideration for anyone seeking a long tele-zoom...

2. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

In another recent thread, I posted the following which may be relevant:

Here's the oversize image I referred to.
    Not all were as sharp as this, but I was pleased that "in flight" corrections were applied by my 1D MkIII, and that after a lapse, sharpness improved. I was shooting at 6fps.