1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Anyone tried the GX-10 firmware update?

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Damien_Demolder, May 1, 2007.

1. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

Has anyone loaded the new firmware on to their GX-10 from the US website? If you have is your camera very different now?

damien

2. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Do you mean has it changed colour, or grown ears? Sorry, only kidding.

3. Damien_Demolder

No really - mines sprouted legs...

4. colindavis

colindavis Well-Known Member

should've bought a K10 then!

Colin :D

5. Monobod

That will teach you to go for a look-a-like!

6. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

I would really like to know if Pentax and Samsung acknowledge the 'burnt highlights' issue, and if either of them have an answer? :D

7. Damien_Demolder

You guys are so funny :D/. Sometimes!

We have a GX10 here that I loaded with the new firmware and took it out for the day. It seemed to act quite differently, not a positive or negative point - just changed. I wondered if anyone else felt the same. It is still a great little camera, and good value too.

The legs thing, that wasn't for real.

damien

8. Monobod

Sorry Damien, we are a funny ( but nice ) bunch really. I have updated the K10D to 1.11 but I haven't noticed much change yet. There must be one or two Samsung owners on the Forum , so hopefully you will get some intelligent answers eventually.

Good luck with the new look AP, I think is is great. I hadn't realised that some of the articles were becoming a bit tired until the changed format fell through the letter box.

9. Damien_Demolder

Hi monobod. Thanks, glad you like the new look.

I'm sure there were some GX10 users here a while ago...Must be out trying their wireless flash.

damien

10. JimNastics

JimNastics New Member

I bought my Samsung GX10 yesterday :) I haven't had a play around yet and plan to load the new firmware asap, so I guess I won't be able to tell what differences it made... but still, I'll let you know how it goes!

11. Damien_Demolder

Hi Jim. Good luck with it. Where did you buy the camera?

damien

12. JimNastics

JimNastics New Member

Sussex Camera Centre in Chichester, excellent service and really nice people, got to say I was impressed. I'm not much of a haggler but got them down to £615 with the twin-lens kit - that was down from £700 although I appreciate that I could have got it online for £599. Nice to know they are just a 15 min drive away though :)

13. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I'll second that. I bought my 1st Nikon from them in the early '80s and have purchased loads of bit's from them over the years. They're what an indie shop is all about... :cool:

14. colindavis

colindavis Well-Known Member

How lucky you are. We haven't got an independent retailer around here. Just b****y Jessops in Ayr. There is one not far from Jessops but he's copped out of selling too many cameras and accessories.Mostly just frames and batteries and photo kiosk services. Still at least he's in business.I did buy my Samsung GX 1L from him though and he did me a pretty good deal on some extra's. He doesn't stock anything like that anymore.Nice little camera.

Colin

15. john_g

john_g Well-Known Member

I bought my GX-10 twin lens kit yesterday from Calumet (very helpful, friendly, professional service) in London and upgraded the firmware as soon as I got home - it seemed pointless to familiarise myself with the camera and then change the firmware.

The process was simple and fast. I now have v1.20 which, as far as I'm aware, gives me all the functionality of an upgraded Pentax K10D (wireless flash, extra green button and e-dial functionality etc.) except, I suspect, compatibility with Pentax's Remote Assistant 3 application (has anyone managed to control a GX-10 from their PC using this software?).

The online upgrade pages also include the following link to images of the changed menus:
    http://www.samsungcamera.com/customer/download/fw/gx_10/fw_pop.asp

16. Damien_Demolder

Hope you enjoy it John

17. keith_w

keith_w Active Member

So, there I was about to post a reply when I saw the above and thought "Bugger! That rules me out".

And then I thought "What the heck"

I bought my GX-10 about 3 months ago and upgraded the firmware at the beginning of this month. Since when I have taken just over 1000 photos while on holiday. Prior to that I had only taken a few dozen. The upshot being that I haven't noticed any difference. Which isn't surprising as (much to my annoyance) I am still trying to get to grips with the camera (but that's off-topic).

18. bottesini

bottesini Member

I got my GX10 in February but I had used one last December. I upgraded the firmware to version 1.11 and the only difference I can see is that my Pentax AF360FGZ can work wirelessly and I get a message telling me how much data is on a card before I format it. I'm not sure if the EV steps in 1/3 stops is new but I have that if I want it. I have read about version 1.2 firmware on forums but haven't been able to find it as the Samsung website is still showing 1.11. Trying to get info out of Samsung is like getting blood out of a stone. Now if I had a washing machine!!!!

Carl

19. bottesini

bottesini Member

I just thought I'd have a shufty at the Samsung website to check which firmware they are offering at the moment. They list it as version 1.2 but the blurb says version 1.11 and the cabinet file that you download is the same as the one for 1.11. I wonder if they are mixing up their arabic and roman numbers.

Carl

20. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Try the Samsung USA website