1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone running LR 7.2 or 7.1 (classic) on a 2012 iMac?

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by PeteRob, Oct 4, 2018.

1. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi, while I'm looking at alternatives to LR rather than go subscription I like the ease of LR but 6.14 doesn't support the Fuji XH-1 that I just bought. It's not the cost specifically (I pay far more for other subscription software and I have full On1 licence) more the concern that, one day, it will all stop and I'll be stuck with no where to go.

Making DNG's just bloats the file size (three times total storage per image for DNG+RAF) and means I'd have to move to using a permanent external HDD for photo storage sooner that than later because the internal HDD is getting full. Not particularly a problem but involves some rejigging.

On1 does a great job of processing the Fuji files but it is a pain to have two programs on the go and LR 6.14 is too convenient to ditch. I miss the print module and the direct publish to Flickr capability. I have best part of a month's worth of raw files sitting in limbo while I try to make my mind up.

System requirements for LR 7.2 say minimum 1 GB VRAM whereas my late 2012 iMac has 512 kb and the 8 GB installed ram is not upgradeable. I don't want to sign up then find LR 7.2 either doesn't run at all because I haven't got the VRAM or runs like a complete dog because it is using system memory instead.

LR 6.14 is faster than On1 2018.5 and is easier to use although On1 has more capable editing (without getting anywhere near its layers module which, like PS, is totally incomprehensible).

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I think you will find that you can upgrade the hard disc on a 2012 iMac without too much difficulty. You need to make a back-up using Time Machine first but once you have that all you need is to change the hard disc and then restore from Time Machine. I gather there may be issues if you wanted to go SSD but mechanical drives are cheaper especially if you want large capacity.

3. PeteRob

Thanks Geoff. Late 2012 imacs aren't user serviceable. The main concern is the RAM on the video card. Memory and HDD changes need an Apple Service centre and we don't have one locally. The HDD itself isn't critical - there will be lots of space if I move my images to a permanently mounted external drive.

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

5. PeteRob

6. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

In my view, moving to another product now because you fear the one you like might not support you later, is no more or less effort than changing to another product at the point where Lightroom ceases to exist.

At the moment, for the combination of cataloguing, social media integration, and processing, there's no replacement.

I appreciate I haven't, and can't answer your actual question, sorry!

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Apple have in recent years made upgrading their products almost impossible. The quest for ever thinner, lighter, less power hungry computers has meant that almost everything is attached to the main board. A case of buy the upgrade up front. There are used iMacs around at reasonable prices so a later model may be an affordable option to enable the required software to run.

I agree with Tony, don't worry about Adobe ditching Lightroom just use it while you can.

8. PeteRob

I pretty much agree about LR. The learning curve for On1 is pretty steep. From what I have read about LR Classic most of the changes up to 7.2 have been matching On1. The residual difference is that LR 7.2 relies still to move to PS for anything more complicated than cloning out dust spots. I'll probably take the punt on 7.2 and hope that there isn't an issue converting catalogues. In the past the published collections could get lost when working with catalogues.

Computer-wise, as far as I can see the video card is not upgradeable. I expect 7.2 will work but it might be a bit slow. On1 is very slow at loading full res picture and I think that is probably lack of vram. The reviews I found about LR 7.2 addressing speed issues were testing it on full specified mac pros and anything should run fast if you throw enough hardware at it. I'm not adding the cost of a high end mac to my s/h purchase of an X-H1 though!

9. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I've found LR more responsive in the last two versions, but I still wouldn't describe it as fast sadly, so I think you're correct.

10. PeteRob

Just to close this out. I downloaded the trial and it does work with 8GB memory and a 512 kb on the graphics card. The processing of Fuji X-H1 RAF files seems OK and the film simulations are more as I'd expect though I'm not a fan of the way they present them in 7.2. Guess I'll get used to the difference.

11. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Off topic,but how do you find the XH1 compared with your previous X camera?

12. PeteRob

The handling is far better. The EVF still falls short of an optical one but is much more responsive and if you turn on "boost" is better. Specifically the blank period following shutter release isn't an issue. At first I missed the dedicated knob for exposure compensation but the rear control dial performs the function and coming from Canon I'm used to that means of working. The start-up from sleep is now fast. This was my main bugbear with the XE2. I've had 5 instances now where nothing is in focus despite running in single shot mode so the shutter should not release without focus confirm. I haven't got to the bottom of this but I found a blog that said you shouldn't adopt DSLR single focus point practice using mirrorless with the focus area shrunk to minimum. I haven't investigated. I've not been out with the camera since I read it. The stabilisation is awesome. The lenses I have all have IS so I've not tried it with an unstabilised prime. I have some minolta MD lenses so will have to try. It handles well with and without the grip. It works with earlier batteries but puts an annoying warning message up saying to use new ones. It goes when you go to half shutter release pressure. The shutter is very quiet. It is also very light so I have some premature shots. I like the top plate so the aperture (I normally use aperture priority) in use is clear. The aperture ring on the lenses is uncalibrated and easy to move so it is great to know settings before putting the camera to the eye. In all I find it a credible alternative to a DSLR though I want to get to the bottom of the focus failures. There is quite some internet discussion of people finding similar issues with the XT-2. On balance I still prefer my DSLRs though my much loved 1D iv (which cost me £3600) now falls behind on image quality. On my recent Flickr photostream the images without a watermark* are made with the XH-1 processed in On1 (reduced to 800 max px). I'm going to LR 7.2 in the next day or so and the watermark will be back so in future the camera will only be identified in EXIF. Battery life is short but hasn't bothered me because I rarely take more than "a film" per outing. You can run it off the mains if the grip is attached and plugged in. Why they provide an individual battery charger and a separate grip (2 batteries) charger suprises me but it means you can charge all three batteries in parallel. I'm happy with the purchase. I'll hang on to my XE-2 as backup.

Edit
    *except the orangutan and painted dog which were shot on the XH-1 and converted to DNG so as to be processed in LR 6.14

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Scphoto and Bazarchie like this.