1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Anyone know what this is?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Catriona, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

ap opium poppy 1.jpg

Learning likes this.
  2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Oriental Poppy?

S

Catriona likes this.
  3. Catriona

Um... you can call it that...

4. steveandthedogs

No, honestly!

Papaver orientale, the Oriental poppy, is a perennial flowering plant native to the Caucasus, northeastern Turkey, and northern Iran. Oriental poppies grow a mound of leaves that are hairy and finely dissected in spring.

Catriona likes this.
  5. Catriona

This one has smooth leaves, a big smooth bud and I believe is an opium poppy.

6. steveandthedogs

Could be!

S

Catriona likes this.
  7. Catriona

It's quite lilac in the centtre part of the petals. Came with the wildflower seeds!

8. steveandthedogs

Well, it's wild in some parts of the world...

S

Catriona likes this.
  9. Catriona

Haha! Hmm. Not here, I think.

10. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

But with a little effort, it could be...

Catriona likes this.
  11. Catriona

Got another flower - looks like a mini sunflower.
    Wondering if it is
    The bush daisy looks a lot like small sunflowers. Also known as golden daisy bushes or African bush daisies (Euryops chrysanthemoides), the tender shrubs produce bright yellow flowers that surround heads of black seeds that attract birds. Yellow daisy flowers do not close at night and the plant blooms year-round.

ap wildflower yellow daisy.jpg

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  12. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Now that really is an excellent demonstration of the Golden Ratio phi!

Catriona likes this.
  13. Catriona

Got another one. The growth habit was, I thought, like an antirrhinum but now it has started to bloom I'm wondering if it is Toadflax. Is it clear enough to see? It's in an awkward place to get a good shot.
    ap wildflower toadflax 2.jpg

14. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Phlox?

15. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Nope, you're right. Toadflax. Never seen an all white one before. We have lots of fried egg coloured growing wild locally.

Catriona likes this.
  16. Catriona

Thank you. I am hoping to see something as the petals open to confirm it. I can see that begonias and pelargoniums are going to take second place next year. :)

17. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Snapdragon.

Graeme

18. Catriona

Donj't think so. The flower is not the same shape. I'll try to get a better picture, but the rain has started - yeah!!

19. Catriona

Well I was talking to my neighbour over the fence and she suspected it was the same as the ones she had growing in the frontwhere she scattered some seeds. Her's is/was pale yellow and now weith seed pods. It seems this white one might just be a sport or variation.

ap toadflax and bee.jpg

ap toadflax.jpg