1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone know the story behind this one?

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by Brian, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

untitled (1 of 1)-76.jpg

2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Unless you are teasing us, Brian, if you don't know then who on earth will?

If you really don't know than all I can think of is asking Oleg/Fedka.

3. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Oh yes I know ;)

4. gray1720

OK - well, I can't remember if it's in your work or not, so I'm going to take a potshot that it dates to the crossover period when the Contax machinery had first been moved to the USSR and the first top plates were rolling off the machines. Though the CZJ lens cap suggests otherwise, I might as well play!

5. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Don't know what it's called. So we shall he to call it " The No Name"

No really........

A rare variant of the Kiev-4A is the 'No-name' Kiev, so called because there are no engravings on it other than the serial number, t
    It is equipped with a Carl Zeiss:2 f=0mm lens.

The story goes that Kiev had a surplus of Zeiss lenses as a result of their seizure in 1945/6. So to use them up they fitted them to a " No Name" camera ,mainly to sell to the USA. They are listed as being produced in 1963 but I have two, one that year and the other 1964. Now the 1964 version has a Jupiter lens, story is they made more bodies than they need. But after some time I found the 1963 with Zeiss Sonnar......or rather a friend in Kiev did.Funnily enough a good way to tell the genuine ones is the ever ready case. The No Name case hasn't got the usual embossed nose cone, it's blank.

Some examples are engraved " Made in USSR occupied Germany" this engraving was possibly added by unscrupulous dealers in order to convince people that it was a German camera.

6. gray1720

Photographed the desert with a Kiev with no name?

That's intriguing - how odd!