1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone here used A77 then A77ii?

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by P_Stoddart, Oct 8, 2020.

1. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

HI there

Ok, so maybe upgrading. Now I can get A77 or A77ii

But there is premium of £200 for getting a A77ii LOL

So I am wondering looking and specs etc. The improve worth £200???

Jumping to the A77 alone is quite step up for my image quality etc. LOL

Not sure if extra step to A77ii is worth it??

I can afford to A77ii but hate wasting money if improvements so marginal :)

I current got very nice A58 which works well for me and happy with shots I get out of it.

But I like the idea of a weather sealed camera TBH.

Plus the A77 are pro level cameras or semi-pro. So have features for that kind of work.

I fully know about ALL the upgrades Sony did for A77ii but like some real world usage/opinions of both models.

Thanks for any input you can give me

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

No idea but it sounds like you want one so why not indulge yourself? All cameras are more than competent these days. Sony lens line is now pretty good.

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Personally I would be wary about further investment in the Sony A system given their lack of interest in it in recent times, not a matter of the quality of the cameras, more concerns about their long-term plans for the system (if any).

4. P_Stoddart

Oh that not a issue for me.

I have moved brands loads of times. I go by what the camera can do to help me get a shot.

Reason I moved from my last camera was it used CDAF and the SLT use phase but still gave me EVF.

Now why would I want a EVF you ask? :p LOL

Simple I love doing slow shutter stuff handheld and the SLTs have built steadyshot.

But when you put a fat ND on the front of any lens say ND16 you can still frame ok with the EVF unlike a dSLR LOL

Also I like doing low light stuff as well and the EVF good for that too. Finally you can review in the EVF on super bright days. :)

I do use SLR but in my film work only :)

Knowing me I will probably end up with one of them LOL

I get itch every 4 years or so to try different camera. Which reminds me to get out the Polaroid LOL

While film still around. Mind you was watching Mapplethorpe film :p LOL

5. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

Hi.
    I only have the A77 Mk1 (in fact I have 2 of them), and IMHO, didn't think it worthwhile, at the time, upgrading. What I really like is the Focus Peaking, which is really good for doing manual focus.
    My only misgiving about the camera, is using high ISO. My previous camera, A550, was so much better at handling high ISO. However, what I would suggest if you buy the Mki (or Mkii) is to make sure you have the latest firmware installed. I don't know whether it is still available from the Sony website (the A77 is getting on for 10 years old), but your local dealer may be able to help. If you are buying 2nd hand from a dealer, you could insist that the camera does have the latest firmware on it (v1.07 for the Mki).
    Good luck.

6. P_Stoddart

Hi there, well I did go for a A77 MK1 because used money saved on a 11-18mm sony lens :)

As for firmware I bought from a very well know camera dealer and it DOES have 1.07 :)

So no problem there and thanks for heads up :)

Shutter count just above 70000 my understanding that about 50% of expected maximum life. LOL

My A58 started at around 4800 I it now reading just short of 51000!!!

For me it is a bit of a culture shock because I have NEVER handled a pro class camera and it's performance

feels really good. For start the speed of response and the lower noise of the shutter firing. :)

The EVF is clearly better than the A58. Things I was not aware of from reading up info is the horizon checking

on display :) Great feature :)

I can notice the extra 200+ g and bulk of the camera but I am happy with that compromise for the extra performance.

It does seem to AF better than the A58 :)

Where I am not clear at the moment is memory cards? I have read you should be using possibly UHS-II not because

the A77 supports UHS-II but you want maximum performance. Because UHS-I vary from 50 - 95MB/s

Any experience of SD cards on your A77s?

I did get some Samsung EVOs for other usage and they are clearly faster than the cards I got 4 years ago!!

Because when I drag and drop files on my computer you can see much better transfer rates and lower time of completion.

So what is your position? You in the use loads of small cards or the one very high quality big card for shooting?

I don't get this dual card business on modern cameras? It basically saying you spend £1000s on a camera it

going to fail to write to it's memory card badly. Or you going save pennies buying a CHEAP memory card??!!!

If users could not get good solid memory cards with well known performance then creating 4K HD video would

be a nightmare??

If the engineering is of the highest quality and the memory card is of the same breed then there should be no

need for dual card systems at all?? :-o Plus just having a second slot just half your chance of a failure that is all.

You could get a failed write to BOTH cards if there is a hole in the engineer of the camera technology!!

Where there is a issue with memory cards is knowing how MANY writes it has done in the lifespan.

Because most are good for 100,000 hrs (11.4yrs)?? Well keep records or replace your cards every 2 years for

safety with a good solid brand. But actually I have use a pair of 32GB solid brand card for 46000+ shutter

usage which means each card has done 46000 writes because I shoot raw+jpg so two write per shot!!

I am puzzled by the claim that flash memory is good for ONLY 10 years!!

Because alot of computers use flash memory for BIOS storage. So machines should be dying 10 years later.

Which is odd because I have a machine built in 1999 still running LOL

Must be lucky I guess :p

But I did find some 256MB SD cards with MP3 music files on board and they read back perfect LOL

7. Steve52

Meant to add that if you did get the A77Mk1, then to also get the Sony Manual for it written by Gary Friedman (he also does one for the A58). The book is a goldmine on how to get the best results from the A77, and at only some $26, worth the money. He also has a great knowledge of Sony cameras in general. So if you cant find an answer to any problem, he will always be happy to answer by email.
    The book can be downloaded here: https://www.friedmanarchives.com/sony-alpha-65-and-77-slt/
    Enjoy your camera.

P_Stoddart likes this.
  8. P_Stoddart

Ok, the old question :)

Battery life? Now I have Sony NP-FM500Hs which are 11.5Wh

Now I strongly suspect the A77 is more power hungry than the A58. So anyone know how long

the A77 will run for on one battery?? I know specs say 470 shots with EVF but I want to know how

long it will run for? I notice that the external PSU is rated at 22.8W?

So that would suggest minimum 30mins power up. LOL

But they might have just used a standard off the shelf 7.2V supply that is 22.8W and the A77 needs

way less power to run. :p LOL

I suspect 1 hour might be the limit.

Maybe do some tests :p LOL

I have confirmed it only supports UHS-I in terms of SD memory cards. :)

9. Steve52

Depends what you are shooting and what you have 'on' and 'off' in your settings.
    The A77 can shoot up to a maximum of 14 fps, depending on your sd card and how fast it writes, which will take some battery power.
    The last air show I went to, I took 5 batteries. 2 were in the battery pack, 1 was in my spare A77 and the other 2 were as spare.
    If memory serves me (I cant be bothered to hitch up the external hard drive and count all the pics), using RAW, and Fine quality, I think I took somewhere in the region of 4000 pics (air display and static display). So assuming I used all 5 batteries, that would mean about 800 pics per battery.
    Unless you want to video something, I'd disable the video button as well. I lost count of the number of times I was walking around and found I'd taken a 15 minute video of my feet.
    Using the on camera flash will also use up power quickly as well.