1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone for a Relic Challenge?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gray1720, Jan 17, 2012.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

You might remember that I thought of this last year, but a troublesome case of real life crisis got in the way, and it never happened. That's sorted, after a fashion, so I'm going to have another go.

The idea: agree a date here - day, weekend, week - and use a camera old enough that you wouldn't normally shoot with it.

People can do it on their own, meet up somewhere scenic, or whatever. I don't want to be too restrictive as it could be more fun giving people a long leash.

Fen - I know you were interested last time. Do you think the mods could find a space here somewhere, perhaps First View's old home, to post in? Or, even better, get the magazine interested?

I figure the basic rules should be:

1. Use something older. I'd go for film, but if you want to use that 1 megapixie digital camera from the loft then go for it.

2. Take a photo of it - or even better get someone to take a photo of you using it - take photos with it, and post some.

3. Have fun. Or else! Simple enough?

I'd suggest late May, early June as an idea for a date, and a Saturday or a whole weekend as I'll be playing cricket on the Sunday (my idea, OK!)

Anyone else interested?

Adrian

ETA - If you regularly use an old relic already, don't tell anyone and we won't know!

2. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

Sounds like fun.
    Oldest I currently have is a Nikon CoolPix 995, with a mighty 3.2mp, but for this I'd be tempted to purchase something very 'relicy' that uses film!
    :D
    I'm in.

You could even consider (I think I might have said this before) a 'Top Gear' style challenge of purchasing something for £20 quid then completing a brief with it to see who gets the 'best' results....
    Might keep the very-old-and-used market ticking over!!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  3. gray1720

That is a great idea, Alex! That would get on board anyone who fancied a go, didn't have a wrinkly, but did have a spare £20 (that's less than a beer these days, isn't it? Certainly feels like it after I visit the bar!).

If anyone else is around Oxford I can probably lend them some terrible piece of geriatric kit.

Adrian

4. mediaman

mediaman Well-Known Member

sounds like a great idea....

5. Guitarist

Guitarist Well-Known Member

Yep, I'm definitely in. There are a couple of my wrinklys needing a bit of exercise!

6. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I bought a relic yesterday.....£3.99 plus battery at £2.60 total £6.59...for an Olympus mju II
    Not shot a roll of film with it yet but I know I've bodged it up as there is a bit of shutter lag with I've failed to account for....well I think I have.
    I know some erstwhile members on this very forum were happy little soldiers using one back in the day.
    Another of the charity shops I looked in had a mju 115? for £4.99 which I thought was way ott....;):D

7. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  8. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I did wonder about re-commissioning my tailboad for the challenge but I decided that the hinges on the plate holders are too fragile. However if you want an image of it for the thread just ask

Roger

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

An excellent little snapper. It was my carry-everywhere camera for years.

10. TH-Photos

TH-Photos Well-Known Member

[Note to self]

Must finish the film in the Box Tengor.

[/Note to self]

11. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I have a Butcher Carbine No 6 which i bought in perpetration for the last Relic Challenge.

I had to bolt part of it back together with bits from B&Q and the folders latch keeping it shut is long kaput, but its shutter and bellows are a-ok. Might be a hole in the film bay, but it will remain to be seen if this translates into a light-leak. Not bad for something which is probably celebrating its 90th birthday :)

Last time i bought the camera, this time i'll buy the film and the next time you bring it up i'll probably be just about ready to actually take some pictures with it ;)

12. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Sounds fun :cool:

Don't tell anyone, but I am an old relic 8-P

13. gray1720

Thanks for all the reponses, it looks like it's a go-er! I'm sure a photo of your tailboard would look great, Roger, and I can always lend Atavar a 90-year old Ensign...

I think Fen is still a moderator, isn't he? I'll PM him in a mo - he was interested the last time I tried to get it going - and see whether we can have some forum space.

Adrian

14. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

I think I've still got my mju 2 around somewhere, needs a new battery.

Oldest I've got is a early '50's (So just older than me) Ensign Selfix, which doesn't self-fix any more, and the back's a bit dodgy (So's the camera's), but it might do for a one-off.

15. AlanClifford

AlanClifford Well-Known Member

My Praktica super TL must be in the house somewhere. If not, I have a later Praktica that is still pretty old.

16. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

The oldest camera I have is a Konica C35AF which has the distinction of being the world`s first AF compact camera,though compact in today`s terms it is not!

Not used it for ages but I know it needs new seals.I`ll have to get hold of Jon Goodman.

The 38mm 2.8 Hexanon was a very sharp lens and I used it as a holiday camera for years,so as not to be burdened with heavy SLR kit.

17. josie

josie Well-Known Member

Hi Adrain,
    I'll have a go as well ~ I have loads of suitable babies for this, so I maybe need to list them all and then stick a pin in my list!
    ~Sounds like it could be good fun,
    Jo

18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

19. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

I know there are some very senior people posting here, so this may be impractical but how about making it age related - use a camera older than than the photographer? :confused:

20. gray1720

Oo, Zou, that's my sort of thing! I love my Box Brownies. Actually, I don't know why I'm trying to make two Trips into a stereo rig, as I could just do it with two Brownies and a big rubber band!

Olybacker, I'm not sure that making that a formal part of it is a good idea, but it's definitely worth considering as a suggestion if anyone is wondering what to use. I'm hoping that we can make things happen with this, and I'm all for people taking on challenges like that - if anyone fancies meeting in Oxford I can help, in fact!

Adrian