1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Anyone else with car starting problems during lockdown?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bazarchie, May 26, 2020.

1. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

We have 3 Skodas at home, two of which are having starting issues following very little use during the lockdown. Each has stop start which I gather requires a different type of battery. I have tested and recharged each battery without issue, but one car intermittently stops and restarts after a few mins, the other will not restart and now appears to have a flat battery.

Any helpful suggestions?

2. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle Well-Known Member

No.

I bought my car NEW in 2006, Renault Grand Scenic, serviced every year, touch wood never a days problem ever

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Get a bike?

Perhaps you need to qualify 'helpful'... ;)

4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Swap the Skodas for a couple of Lada's and a Yugo?;)

ascu75, John Farrell and neilt3 like this.
  5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I have got into the habit of disabling stop start every time that I start the engine. I have a Skoda Scala and am surprised at the tiny size of the battery'. The battery platform seems to be designed for a choice of battery sizes. No problems so far but I have only had the car for less than six months.During lockdown I have only used it once every two weeks for essential supplies. This is a round trip of about 15 miles.
    fixed the annoying apostrophe for you.

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

:) You took it and added it to the word battery earlier in your post.

Learning and dream_police like this.
  7. dream_police

Haha

8. Bazarchie

I should have known better.

Zou and dream_police like this.
  9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

If the batteries are 3 or more years old they won't have liked being inactive, you are probably looking at a couple of new ones.

10. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I gather sometimes modern car electronics can take a while to settle down after a flat battery.

Suspect the main difference between a battery for a stop/start car is that they have a better battery than a car without it.....probably only a few quid difference.

11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Put the battery on slow charge for 24 hours. Whether it recovers or not depends if the cells are damaged. We have one car that only gets used for short trips and batteries never last. Winter usually sees them off. The alarm system will drain a battery if the car isn’t used for a while.

A start stop system generally has a bigger battery but the automatic starting systems are very efficient. It’s not like cranking the engine with the key. The car should measure battery performance and the stop/start disable itself if the battery is low. If the car is used mainly on short journeys it may not be properly charged up. A run of 20 mins with rpm of 2000 or more (so keep it in 3rd on slow roads) should top it up.

Bazarchie likes this.
  12. dream_police

My daughters car, a 10 year old C3, whose battery is at least 5 years old was parked on our drive, not moved, yet alone turned on, since the day of lockdown, started on Thursday first time. That was a surprise.

ascu75 likes this.
  13. Bazarchie

I expect this is the answer. One is 3.5 years the other 4 years. The car that is working fine, is just over a year old.

14. Bazarchie

Quite a few quid and I also had to buy a new electronic battery charger which did not reveal a problem with either battery. I have booked Green Flag for one car tomorrow, hopefully they have the computer diagnostics equipment.

15. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Step daughter started her Corsa after about four weeks low/non usage...only it didn't. A tickle with a trickle did the job

Bazarchie likes this.
  16. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

When a nice man from the RAC fitted a new battery in my 6 year old car, he asked if it was a 'stop-start' model. It isn't, so the replacement, including fitting and a 5 year guarantee was about £100. He told me that if it had been, the battery would cost a lot more and have a much shorter guarantee - and I would probably need a new starter motor every 2 or 3 year too (depending on mileage).

Bazarchie likes this.
  17. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Thankfully, not experienced an issue such as that in almost 30 years.

18. dream_police

We have had stop start cars for years now. My last one was 5 years old when I changed it. No battery or starter problem. My wife's car is also 5 years old now. No issues with hers either. My Z4 is almost 9 years. I have all the receipts for the car. Nothing to indicate it has a replacement battery (i've only had it 3). Parked up over winter it went flat. It was charged and taken on some runs. Not had a problem since.

In fact in all my years of car ownership I have only ever had to buy one battery. Perhaps I have been lucky.

Zou likes this.
  19. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I don’t see why the starter motor should need replacing with any great frequency. There is a tendency to sell new batteries on home-start call outs. If the battery is shot the annual service should pick the signs up

20. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

FWIW the times I've had to replace batteries the charger says full but after disconnecting and leaving a few hours the signal tester (about a £5 tool) shows low voltage.

How do the sizes work again?..letters? Don't think I've ever gone for the cheapest battery but one of the modifications to the lpg car I had was it had a smaller battery to make room for some additional circuitry.