1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Anyone Else Still Shielding

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mark101, Aug 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

On Consultant advice I'm still shielding, as are the majority of 80 Myeloma patients registered with my local Hospital Trust. Having spoken to Myeloma UK, although they, along with other health charities, couldn't get HMG to extend Shielding, we and indeed many others are still highly vulnerable to infection.

I've always gone out of the house, walked, driven when possible to remote spots, but my self imposed rules means no shops, no nothing indoors, except hospital when required, and socially distancing on meeting in the open, also meaning no crowds. My wife has had to go back to work after 4 months, but the house is shielded, meaning a full risk assessment, she showers on getting home, fresh clothes are required, and she is sleeping in a spare room.

So anyone else out there still Shielding and if so what are your experiences?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

We are in effect. No contact with anyone, no shops, no pubs. Everything coming into house is quarantined or washed (so AP sits on the hall floor for a couple of days) and we use separate rooms, eat apart, own crockery etc. Videoconference to see the family. We do go out - for outdoor activities - but not closer to anyone than 2 m, further if possible. Got used to it now but it seems much more onerous now that others are getting together again. My cycling clubs are starting group rides (up to 6 allowed with social distancing) and I'm getting a bit fed up with riding on my own.

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

My sister in London was, but is now weaning herself outside and visiting the odd place too. She could be back at work in September, so she is doing her best to get a bit fitter and seeing how well she gets on.

To be honest, Mark and Pete - do you really feel it is a fair price to pay? I must be more fatalistic and although I do wear a mask when out, I have not stopped doing my own shopping although trips into town are very few and far between.

Today, I was aware of tourists around. Unfortunately they seem to be much more 'unaware' than the rest of us, disobeying routes to take in the supermarket for example and some in little huddles getting in the way. It really rubs salt into the wound after our long haul so far that people can come over here and probably infect us all now. Our only seven cases were imported, so our community behaviour has been excellent on the whole.
    Watch this space now though...

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Well yes. It isn't to protect me.

5. Mark101

Not sure about fair price to pay because I had to be careful prior to Covid 19, hence the six chest infections last year and now being on low dose Azithromycin for life. It's not about fair or otherwise, it's about staying alive. After catching that viral pneumonia in late 2015 from inspecting a care home and being onsite for five hours, I've learned to respect both viral & bacterial infection sources. I do want to continue living and sadly isolation is the only solution until a vaccine arrives, but just as with flue, I suspect it wont offer full protection.

Catriona likes this.
  6. Catriona

Oh, I understand all right. My husband, minus left lung and pleura was extremely susceptible to infections, especially when on a short break somewhere else (in Scotland) or, strangely, in woodland areas (I think fungal infections). I nursed him through at least one a year until the last one picked up in Fort William, so unfortunately I couldn't get him home to care for him myself, and he died.

He was the one who got irritated by my concern at times, which I wasn't able to hide - and he was the one who wanted to get out and away for a break whenever we could. It was a huge balancing act - pros and cons - and his mental state demanded it, so I had to go with it.

7. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

at 85 I am avoiding outside contacts. everything that comes into the house is disinfected. and outer coverings binned at the door. then hands washed. Shopping is all online. I am in a bubble with my daughter and family who are also shielding. as her husband a GP falls into the very high risk category. He talks to patients on line, and will see a very few one afternoon a week, when he is heavily protected.
    Risk will always exist, but it is worth taking major avoidance tactics where possible. eventually a suitable vaccine will be released, which in combination with avoiding major infection situations should bring risk to acceptable levels.
    Till then I am prepared to wait it out.

8. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

No, not shielding.

I’m out pretty much everyday, everywhere, shopping malls, the lot. (but no pubs)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  9. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Average time for a vaccine to be developed was 10-15 years on one web page and another said 4 years was record time for them.

What are they saying on the news about timescales?

10. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

You can only judge a price when you actually have to pay it. Before that you can say what you like, it doesn't count.

I'm just about shielding, as is stepdaughter with type 1 diabetes and d-in-l with post cancer treatment.

11. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

But never before have they had 20 candidates at full testing so early. they might of course all fail, but I doubt it as they have a lot of experience with Corona viruses. I suspect at least one will be out by early next year, even if it is is less effective than ideal. ( none are 100%) a second generation Vaccine will probably follow by the end of next year.

daft_biker likes this.
  12. Mark101

I nearly did pay the price three weeks on ECMO in a coma, and then a treatment induced stroke, but I recovered, well sort of recovered .:(

13. Catriona

But your wife goes out to give you the freedom to stay away from 'unsafe' places. The price for you almost sheilding is your wife doing what is necessary.

14. Mark101

Lucky yes, because we have few relatives left and the nearest is 160 miles away.

Catriona likes this.
  15. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

So far there isn't an effective vaccine against any strain of coronavirus. And looking at reports on cases where someone has had C-19 and then tested afterwards at regular intervals for immunity to it, it seems that any immunity you may develop from having the illness is very short lived :(

I keep an eye on reports in medical journals as I have several family members and friends who suffer from respiratory diseases, all of which are still shielding.

16. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Was fixing a couple of ebikes in a garden next door to a nurse on her second round of it the other day, allegedly.

17. John King

John King Well-Known Member

My partner is shielding because she has a history of asthma. She has not had an attack for several years, but once you have it, apparently you have it for life. I do most of her food shopping seems to be managing OK. It would be very difficult for me to do the same, at least in the early days I could go out for a couple of mile walks daily

18. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Not shielding as such, but being very pragmatic about things. I know what my chances are should I get hospitalised with Covid, but given that working from home is not an option (Scotchguard on the carpet is good, but not that good:D) and other than isolating when Julie was struck down with it, I haven't missed a day at work. I won't go into a crowded shop and have only been in quiet pub beer gardens, but other than that, being an antisocial bastard is paying dividends.

Learning and Catriona like this.
  19. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

My own feelings except that I am not of working age. I am being careful, and have been since the start of the affair. I do my own shopping, apart from a couple of deliveries and one click and collect.
    It helps that I am a bit of a loner. I can be a loner without being embarrassed about it.

20. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

My wife and I are both retired and live in a rural area and continue to perform what might be called 'shielding', in that we minimise contact with other people. We now have some disposable face masks, and I go out once a week for a Radio Times and and a few other things that Waitrose cannot deliver. Also, yesterday I managed to get a Tesco delivery slot for the first time since March so some stuff is coming from them. With so little local travel, I only recently filled the car with petrol for the first time since the start of March.

My wife has an allotment about a mile from our house, and this has certainly helped keep us both sane (the hi-fi system gets a lot of use when she's out), and is now proving raspberries too.

The ability to order so much online for delivery had made the current situation easier, but those older people who still get the state pension in cash from a post office and then go shopping must be taking the greatest risks.

What we really miss is the occasional outing to a rural pub or small restaurant, and the availability of a dentist to arrange for a new crown to fit a tooth I broke in March (so paracetomol/coedine painkillers from my GP, but again with home delivery too from a local pharmacist who has offered this service for the last few years).

The local 'chinese' recently re-opened for takeaway service, but I only considered it safe to use after wearing face masks became compulsory when going inside (the owner was happier then too, and also carefully spaces out orders to minimise the number of customers waiting to collect). I suspect it will be a long time before we can enjoy a table meal at the restaurant that takes up about 80% of the place's floor area, but a least the business now has some money coming in.

Once the local children (and their teachers) have been rounded up and sent back to school, we will risk going out for walks in the country again and my camera will get more use.