1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone come across this before?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by RovingMike, Jul 22, 2021.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Went to Beckenham earlier to shoot one of the locations I have to cover - an ornate Victorian street water tap thingy. Found it and a young lad about 12 was standing by it, who when I approached looked terrified and started writhing around. Then he blurted out that he had a phobia about cameras. He clearly couldn't look anywhere near mine, so I pointed out that if he didn't stand where I wanted to shoot, it wouldn't get pointed his way, so he moved off a little bit to wait for his father. I did commiserate with him and exchanged a couple of phobias, with camera held behind my back, but he was pretty dumb with fear until I went away. Completely new one on me, that.

2. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Sadly not a level headed lad. To answer your question. No.

3. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Weird - do you think the lad was autistic?

4. Benchmark

Benchmark Well-Known Member

I wonder if it is a 'learned response'; possibly from one or both parents?

We have all come across parents who become agitated if they see an SLR camera (but not an iPhone) pointing anywhere near their offspring, so it could have been such an event that caused the phobia.

Ascu75 AKA Don Wood and zx9r like this.
  5. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Cue - Anyone heard from Geren for a while a) her lad is IIRC autistic and b) I miss her contributions?

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I’ve not come across it as a phobia as such but I know several people who won’t have their picture taken. Folk do get afeared of many strange things. Me it’s dogs, which I do now have some control over, but it has taken 50 years to develop and vanishes at a bark.

7. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

I absolutely hate being photographed, especially so when I’m eating at the dinner table at xmas and everyone brings out the telephoto lens for some reason.

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Long table? ;)

9. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I was thinking that the other day as not seen many posts from her. She has been online though. Last time was yesterday.

Ascu75 AKA Don Wood likes this.
  10. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

Sounds like he might be afflicted with a degree of 'scopophobia' the fear of being stared at.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scopophobia

(I thought there was perhaps a name given to such things, so I looked it up!)

11. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I looks it up last night too. That one sort of fits but doesn't at the same time.

Ascu75 AKA Don Wood likes this.
  12. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Sounds very much like a learned response - "people pointing cameras at you are pervies" etc. etc.
    It seems engrained in the psyche of parents - especially the younger ones.

Last year I was taking some snaps for a friend who wanted to know what our area was like - landscapes etc.

I went to the local park to get some snaps of the trees and open areas. As I was finished and walking back to the car, I saw a couple teaching their daughter to ride a bike - it was on a slight hill, so backdrop was some trees and blue sky, and they had just released their daughter - excellent picture opportunity.
    So I quickly snapped a couple of pics, at which point one of them looked over at me and my dSLR and scowled.

I immediately walked towards them to show them what I had got, and the father then started saying how I needed permission etc, and the mother did the same. I tried to explain matters, but they simply didn't listen. The camera was set up for landscapes, slow shutter etc, so the shots were useless anyway, but I really despair of a lost generation and more of lost candid shots.

zx9r and Catriona like this.
  13. Benchmark

Benchmark Well-Known Member

Yet if you had been using the latest iPhone that sort would probably have looked up to you. :(

steveandthedogs likes this.
  14. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I don't think so, it was the machine itself he was afraid of. I think the autism suggestion might be near the truth. He looked very detached and although being afraid, it was more an emotionless avoidance than anything else I think. He didn't like it whichever way it was pointing. Certainly was weird.

TimHeath likes this.
  15. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

A few years ago I was out with my camera and I was queued outside Tesco for the cash machine and there was this little girl who got all excited and wanted me to take her photo. Her mum was fine about it I showed her mum what I had and she liked it so much we exchanged email addresses and I sent her a copy, which she told me she'd had blown up and framed

16. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

My wife and I were walking along the Banhofstrasse in Worgle, many years ago, when we were acosted by some small boys, aged about 9 or 10. It turned out they had spotted my camera and were very keen that I take a picture of them. The point of the picture was that they'd found a large hamster and wanted the event recorded. When we offered to send the picture to them, they very politely declined.

It was, it seems, quite enough that the record existed...

Young boys with Hamster Worgle Austria R1_02354.JPG