1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody had problems with passport photos?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by RogerMac, Feb 17, 2020.

1. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Passport not due to run out till May but I decided to act early and applied some weeks ago. I was surprised how good the official web site was with clear examples the only problem was that the computer kept rejecting my photos with "mouth open". ..it wasn't open. After the fourth rejection I pushed the submit anyway button to get a human evaluation of course it went through after two weeks delay

2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Hasn’t it made applications easy? I did mine and my mums using photos from my phone, no worry about the size as it is cropped automatically.Went through first time without an issue and had the passports less than a week later.

shame I still look like a convict though.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    EightBitTony likes this.
  3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I had same with Chinese visa last year. In the end it accepted them, but when we got there they were still rejected and we had to do new there.

The automatic gates rarely let me in anyway.

4. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

You're lucky in a way - the reason my current passport photo kept getting rejected was that their algorithm was mistakenly detecting my hair as a shadow behind my head. There were no problems with my previous picture because I had a shaved head at the time, although one chap at US Customs described me as looking like a 'dangerous librarian'.

Cheers, Jeff

Gezza likes this.
  5. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I had exactly the same problem a couple of years ago with the wife's passport picture. The computer kept rejecting it (I forget the reasons but 'face like a ferret' strangely wasn't one of them).

I posted on the forum and the late Mr Hicks advised me to submit anyway, saying that a person not an algorithm will then look at it. New passport received back less than a week later.

I think the problem with taking your own passport pictures, is that you might actually get a reasonable likeness, but no software expects people to look like their passport picture :)

6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It's those who don't look suspicious that you have to be wary of!;)

7. RogerMac

!must be an advantage for undercover work!

8. RogerMac

What camera were you using? I was using a 6D and if I had had to continue was planning using a lesser camera. Wife's went through like a dream though.

9. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I think it was a Panasonic FZ1000 bridge camera.

10. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Aren't passport mug shots supposed to be biometric?

Lynn

11. RogerMac

Yes but they take the measurements of the shot you submit

12. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Mine works just fine in the face scanning booths, so must be enough detail in there for it to work.

13. John King

John King Well-Known Member

I don't know if it has changed since 2011 when I renewed my present one using the Post Office service, but they hummed and haaard about the background colour not being white enough or plain enough. So I had mine done at the Post Office and the background was definitely grey. No it is white, they claimed! (The counter staff) So I showed a white piece of paper alongside as a comparison..... and..... yup it was grey! The documents went away and a couple of weeks later a courier delivered it.

14. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Could the reason some of these photos are rejected, be because the passport agency is assuming they are taken in a booth, where the camera-to-subject is a fixed distance, with a lens that has the 40-degree AoV of a 'standard' lens? Maybe some of these failed camera shots were taken employing the zoom function to fill the frame, thereby causing perspective distortion?

The consequences of using a zoom lens is twofold; [1: The person's nose would look too pronounced if camera is too close, due to the lens being wider than 'standard', or [2: The face is likely to look 'flattened/compressed' if a longer focal length is used and from a longer distance than that used in booths?

Maybe I'm over-complicating this issue, but my first thought was that whatever is used to pass or fail images, is looking out for these types of distortion?

15. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

The thing that gets to me is that you're supposed to remove your glasses for the picture, so for one of those automated airport desks to recognise me, I need to remove my glasses, however that means I can't see which buttons to press!

Cheers, Jeff

Catriona likes this.