1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Any suggestion for a kids camera from EBAY?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Nictu, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Nictu

Nictu Member

Hi,

I'd like to buy my daughters a 2nd hand digital camera from EBAY. Budget would be a little as possible !! £20/£30 tops for each of them, and just wondered if you had any suggestions? Just something for the to get started with photography and perhaps with good build quality to stand up to a 7 and 5 years old, although I understand at this price point I may be asking a lot.

Many Thanks,
    Nictu.

2. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

I bought an old Olympus PEN mini camera for £50, My guess is that the older version (mine is a Pen E-PM2 so try looking for a E-PM1) would be even less. The good thing about these is that they are small and easy to use while having features and quality if/when they want something more.
    Truth to be told I often take the small Oly rather than my DSLR gear....

RogerMac likes this.
  3. Nictu

Nictu Member

Wow ! Yes, I'd probably end up keeping that for myself too !! Thanks for the input. nictu.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I'd look for something with a fixed lens. A lot of the zoom compacts have lenses that unfold when the camera is powered up and collapse when it is turned off. These are a bit vulnerable to rough treatment and little fingers. Some models are sold as "rugged" and can withstand being dropped (not too hard), getting wet etc.

5. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I got the step-ish grandson a Canon Powershot something or other. A480? Anyway, it takes two AA batteries, so no need to worry about losing the charger, seems reasonably indestructible, takes quite good quality pics and cost about £8 on ebay.

S

6. Nictu

Nictu Member

great, thanks to everybody. The canon sounds like a good bet, will keep an eye on eBay.
    thanks again,
    nick.

7. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Have a look in charity shops too - older small-sensor compacts had been abandoned in the rush for smartphones.

I bet that when they get the cameras the first thing they'll try to do is use them to make a telephone call...

8. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

CEX have quite a number of cheap compacts and have branches in most larger towns, the selection changes regularly and the website is kept absolutely up to date.

9. Nictu

Nictu Member

Good idea...never thought of that one!
    Thanks muchly.
    Nick.

10. Nictu

Nictu Member

CEX, never heard of them but just looked on website..this could be a great place to start.
    Thanks very much,

Nick.

11. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Nictu,

From a retailer's POV, I would recommend a waterproof compact digital camera mainly because they have zooms which a built in so the
    lens won't be coming out and they are, generally, a bit more robust in their build :). Having said that, I had run through the London Camera
    Exchange's second hand "compact digital camera's" and, whilst they don't have any of the aforementioned "waterproof" cameras, they do have
    two pages of used "compact digitals", of which, a majority of way above your budget :eek: but, they do have a number of cameras that fall within your
    budgetary terms :). As well, I recommend a shop, in this case, LCE, as they will offer a warranty of their products :)

BTW, here is a link to the LCE's pages of used compact digital cameras :)

https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Secondha...=Digital+Compact+Cameras&Location=&Results=48

Hope this helps :)

Cheers,

Jack

12. Nictu

Nictu Member

Marvellous, thank you.
    nick.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  13. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Did you find anything suitable?

14. Nictu

Nictu Member

Hello, yes there's quite a choice but, as the kids Xmas list grows we may put off the camera idea as they'll both want one so finding to of the same at the right price might over complicate Xmas shenanigans, but thanks for asking.
    Nick.

Done_rundleCams likes this.