1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Any plans for an electronic editionof AP?

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by PhilW, Jan 17, 2012.

1. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

I am becoming very fond of the Apple Newsstand app on iPhone and iPad.

The premise is that you subscribe via iTunes to your favorite publications and they are delivered electronically to your device, or you can buy individual issues.

With The Gaurdian I have subscribed, and with Harper's Bazzar UK & V mag just bought a few editions that caught my eye.

I see the British Journal of Photography, Digital Camera and popular Photography on there, but not may favorite photography Mag :(

2. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

I think it's available through Zinio?

But there seems to have been a few problems... I think they are mentioned in a few threads in this section!?!

3. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

Ah yes - just read the threads. It seems not as robust as newsstand. And I don't really want another app....

Get it on NS!!!!

4. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

And, of course, from a circulation point of view. Everyone with the latest iphone/ipad OS has Newsstand. And I'd never heard of Zinio.........

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well I had never heard of Newsstand - but I had heard of the cross-platform Zinio, which will work on my PC, my Android phone, my wife's Android tablet, and yes, Apple products as well. From a circulation point of view, why would anyone limit themselves to just Apple users? :confused:

6. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

Does it have to be either/or?

I'm completely ignorant of how these sort of things are agreed.

And, clearly, because Apple users have better taste :p

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Corrected for factual accuracy ;)

8. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

hehe :)

9. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Shouldn;t that be:

I agree with Phil. The iPad is an excellent tool and I wouldn't be without mine. I'd love to see AP on the NS and available through Zinio as well.

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I would imagine that the grasping fruity ones take an awful lot more than Zinio...

11. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

Probably true, but a smaller percentage of something is better than a bigger percentage of nothing (assuming there would be a large potential base with NS as well)

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yeah, I do agree that if both can be done, it would make sense.

13. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

I get several magazines (AP included) through Zinio and have not had a problem with it. There's the Zinio Reader for the iMac too.
    I buy a couple of mags via newsstand too - don't know who does the deals with these things but for me it makes no difference.

14. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

I'm currently using Zinio (on my iPad) and it's fine.

They did have a server outage early last year which was annoying, but as they gave me another months supply of AP for free I wasn't overly upset!

As for Newsstand, it would be nice to see it there - but I guess from a production point of view it may take more work to produce as the content is more interactive rather than just the direct facsimile that is the Zinio version.

15. melek

melek Active Member

I wouldn't mind seeing an electronic version for the Android platform. Love the weekly magazine, but those shipping costs across the Atlantic to the USA are a killer.

I've been using the app for Black and White Photography and have been very pleased with it.

As I said, I'm a big fan of Amateur Photographer, but just can't come up with the money for a U.S. dollar subscription.

16. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Hi Mike,

as mentioned before in this thread, although not an app as such, there is a Zinio version of AP >available<

17. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

How very apt. :D

18. Re: Any plans for an electronic edition of AP?

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I found it whilst looking for info on electronic versions of AP.
    I no longer subscribe to the paper edition because of the amount of paper a weekly mag consumes.

Whilst I appreciate the appeal of Zinio in terms of being 'cross platform', I think a newsstand presence in addition would be worthwhile. Zinio requires a separate registration and payment process, which means more details to manage, whereas newsstand integrates with existing iTunes accounts. Also, there is evidently still no iPhone version available on Zinio, only iPad, which is a pain as I don't own an iPad. I get 3 other magazines on newsstand (two of which are also on Zinio) and whilst the iPhone's smaller screen isn't perfect for reading them, its often more convenient than using my desktop.

None of these problems are insurmountable, but they all get in the way, so I have yet to buy an electronic copy of AP despite now regularly buying those 3 others titles electronically. I have been holding out for a possible newsstand version because for iOS users (of which there are now quite a few) it really is so much easier than Zinio. Many other mags seem to be available on both platforms, so it isn't clear why AP isn't.