1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Any one else seeing the news from Paris?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LesleySM, Nov 13, 2015.

1. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

It does not look good- I'm getting between 26-60 people killed and hostages being taken and to think just a few minutes ago I was mildly worried about one of my cats (She's FIV+ and tiny the runt of the litter so I'm a bit over sensitive if she so much as sneezes) and trying to remember if my D7000 needs the battery charged

2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

yes its shocking isn't it. 100 dead in the theatre alone!

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

There aren't really words to describe how I feel. What comes closest is disgust and sadness, and an overwhelming fear that the cycle of violence will continue and that these events will almost certainly 'justify' further atrocities.

4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

It is dreadful and like Zou, I can't think of anything to express my horror at the attacks.One of our own here is in Paris at the moment. Geren - who has let us know she and her friends from the Glasgow School of Art are all safe. They've been visiting the Paris photo au Grand Palais.Kate

5. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I can't help wondering what they hope to achieve.

S

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

People who do things like this are mad so no way to understand them.

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Hardly. People who do things like this are calculating and need to be understood.

The indications are that the attackers claimed their actions were in response to French policy/actions in the Middle East. This fits with the known policy of AQ/ISIS to act in ways that will cause division and the targeting of Muslims by Western states. They hope this will bring these disenfranchised Muslims to their side.

Bin Laden wanted to unite Muslims against the West, but his deputy al-Zawahiri favoured the policy above, as do their financiers in the Saudi royalty.

We (UK, USA, France etc.) conduct billions of pounds, dollars and euros in military trade with Saudi Arabia, in the knowledge that some of this reaches our 'enemies' ISIS and the Nusra front. This is considered acceptable because they are opposed to Assad. Syria has immense strategic value as its location means that oil pipelines could be run through from the south and East thus undermining Russia's energy exports. Russia backs Assad for that reason, 'we' oppose him.

Caught in the crossfire are civilians, who have literally run for their lives. Those who have made it to relative safety now face the prospect of being demonised for their origin and status. If the attacks went to plan, these refugees will find no welcome, and in the ignorant fist-thumping actions of Western governments and media, will be caught in the crossfire again. ISIS was spawned by our actions in Iraq, which radicalised thousands. Let's hope we don't act to radicalise thousands more here.

Of course it is far more complex than that, but hopefully this serves as an example of what trying to understand can achieve.

8. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Well, the ones in charge are. It's a bit harder to understand the ones who actually do the murdering.

The ones in charge want to scare France and the West generally out of much of the Near East, so they can establish the beginnings of a caliphate. While sane people regard a caliphate as (a) a completely stupid idea and (b) almost certainly unachievable anyway, the way the terrorist leaders are conducting themselves has an internal logic.

I'm glad I'm broke at the moment. If we'd had the money we'd probably be in Paris ourselves: we were invited to quite a few vernissages (gallery first nights).

Cheers,

R.

9. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Understanding them (or trying to) is the first step towards finding a solution.

And a first movement in that first step is to acknowledge that it is not Islam that is the problem, contrary to what many in politics and the media want us to believe.

It is fundamentalism that is dangerous - irrespective of the religion to which it is attached. Fundamentalist Christianity is every bit as evil and dangerous as fundamentalist Islam.

I am reminded that, a week after September 11 2001, I was in Canada with a group of American friends. These were all educated, professional people - and they genuinely could not understand why anyone would want to destroy the USA. I hope they now do.

10. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Yes, and I just feel so sad for everyone involved. Sadly I don't believe there is an answers to this lot known as IS because unlike the IRA or terror groups before them these are thugs beyond reason who will never negotiate over anything. I suspect the only solution is to just bomb them into history

11. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

How do you propose to do that to the fifth column now within Europe? I hope that you are not suggesting a new holocaust.

12. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

Revenge? - After all, we started it. :(

Regards, Mike

13. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

I'm obviously shocked and saddened by what has happened. But also fearful of what uses the far right in the UK will try and leverage from this terrible tragedy.

14. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

.....a long time ago. And we have rekindled it at regular intervals ever since.

15. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I'm sure regulars in the Lounge, could write the responses for members which always follow these things. Its all pretty predictable and tedious.

I'm not sure it's really a topic I'm pleased to see raised in this forum, so I will just express my horror at these terrorist atrocities and extend my sincere sympathies to the French people.

16. saxacat

saxacat Well-Known Member

Likewise.

17. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The 'terrorists' certainly do terrible things. A difficulty is that they do not see themselves as bad people. They no doubt have great faith and a sense of doing the right thing. In some ways they are not even extremists but merely strict in their implementation of their beliefs. They see themselves as doing God's will. As for a nice gentile solution ; I have no idea. I wouldn't start from here. We let the cork out of the bottle back in the sixties. Have you ever tried to put a champagne cork back in a partially drunk bottle?

18. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

The date I'd choose is 1916: Sykes-Picot.

As for those who don't want to see such things discussed here, perhaps they should move to one of the desert states of the Near East, where there's plenty of sand in which they can hide their heads.

The tackiest thread I've seen so far is on another forum where they are urging people to post their "best Paris shots". Never mind global politics: let's stick with pretty pictures. Oh: and boast about which of us have been to Paris.

Cheers,

R.

19. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I was last there in 1949 on a school exchange, only stopped in an apartment on the Boulevard des Invalides, one night each way to and from Megéve, summer months though so no skiing.

20. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

errrr I was talking about terrorist strong holds in Iraq, Syria, Libya etc.... not specific groups of people on the wander around Europe.