1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Any non-Adobe options for tagging and cataloguing photos on iPad?

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by cerebros, Jun 25, 2020.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

2. cerebros

cerebros Well-Known Member

Hah! Definitely a typo. Even if I have gone a bit snap happy since having kids, and even if Lightroom annoyingly appears to count virtual copies in the total number of images, I'd have to go some to have racked up 2 million images.

EightBitTony likes this.
  3. EightBitTony

About 85,000 here.

upload_2020-7-6_21-33-55.png

4. cerebros

I'm also not clear myself, with my somewhat limited knowledge of iPadOS, if it'll work on RAW files copied to an iPad. Looking on the developer's website it says it'll work with:

But I don't know if when you copy RAW files over they get added to the camera roll...

Getting to the point where I might have to hope my work allows staff to work at home full time once all this coronavirus situation is over so I can punt some of my commuting savings into at Lightroom subscription (if I can ever make sense of which of their plans would work best for how I do)

5. cerebros

Decided to email the app developer and it doesn't work with RAW files.

6. EightBitTony

So the Adobe subscription I have (the cheapest one) allows you to easily sync with Adobe Lightroom Mobile

upload_2020-7-6_22-21-43.png

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I have a feeling that the true cost in mobile is in additional storage costs. I use Classic and have about 500 GB of raw files on disk and I take few pictures. I put a fair number on Flickr, low res jpgs and that’s up to 17 GB now, so the plan 20 GB online could easily get used up.

8. EightBitTony

Yes but if all you're doing is using it to tag, you sync the last lot, tag them in mobile, and then unsync to remove them from mobile. The original purpose of the mobile app was to edit a subset of your entire catalog while you were away from the PC, to show clients, etc.

Also, you can sync smart previews which are significantly smaller.

9. PeteRob

Really? I thought it was aimed at the smartphone generation - everything online and instantly available. I’d have thought commercial work would be archived soon after the job was done unless there was a clear reason for reuse.

10. EightBitTony

That's the new Lightroom CC, which uses cloud as it's primary storage, rather than Lightroom classic. But the mobile app has multiple consumers, one use is syncing smart previews from Lightroom Classic, making changes, and then syncing them back.

11. PeteRob

OK my mistake. I thought LR mobile had morphed into LR CC. Never saw the point myself nor owned anything modern enough to use it.

12. EightBitTony

I saw a video a while back of a wedding photographer who's workflow showed them importing everything in to LR, syncing one client's images, giving the client a tablet (iPad) and the client went through tagging / rating the ones they liked, which synced back to Lightroom, and then the 'tog used that as the way of giving them the final product.

13. PeteRob

A very efficient way of doing things, must have been a dedicated catalogue though.

14. EightBitTony

Nope, that's the whole point. You only sync what you want from your catalog, not the whole catalog. It can sync a single collection, and move things in and out of it. If you wanted to do what he did with a laptop previously, you had to create separate catalogs, export them, import them, etc., etc.

Basically,

1. One lightroom catalog
    2. Create a collection
    3. Sync only that collection
    4. Move things in and out of the collection any time you like
    5. On mobile, you can view the collection, edit images, tag them, modify them, and the changes sync back to your main PC as long as Ligthroom is running even if you're not there

So 20GB is more than enough, it's fast, efficient, easy. It's not designed for long term storage. It's for syncing your last shoot, and then editing them on the train, with the updates being synced back as soon as you have wifi, for example.

15. PeteRob

OK, makes sense. So when done you delete the collection or move it. I thought adobe business model was changing toward cloud storage @ ~£100/10 GB/annum hence the LR CC. Hadn’t realised there was this usage with LR “classic”. I probably have the same plan as you.

16. cerebros

Actually, it appears I was mis remembering how many images I have. Having had the chance to dip into Lightroom while my laptop's been behaving for five minutes, I'm actually only about 1.5k off 100,000 images, not 200,000, in my catalog. (It probably just felt like twice the amount when I went through several years' worth of images to try and make sure everything was properly tagged).

EightBitTony likes this.
  17. cerebros

So you need to have synch'ed your images on your main machine first before you can put them into a collection to synch with Lightroom mobile and tag there? You can't tag images you've transferred onto your phone/tablet and synch the details back to your main catalogue so that when you get back from your shoot/holiday, it's just a case of copying the images off your memory cards onto your main storage system and telling Lightroom "this is where to find the images"?

18. EightBitTony

You can do it in both directions, I believe. It's a while since I tested it out.

19. EightBitTony

Yep, you can specify where photographs that exist in Lightroom Mobile turn up.

upload_2020-7-12_13-48-47.png

What I don't know, is if they are photographs taken with Lightroom Mobile (it can take photos, like Instagram) or if it includes photo's 'added' to the Lightroom mobile app from another source.