1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Firefox experts?

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by GeoffR, Jun 19, 2020.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I think the problem is solved but this is what was happening:
    Whenever I restarted Firefox the default search engine was set to Yahoo. Since version 53 of Firefox Yahoo hasn't been one of the search engines in Firefox. I haven't, knowingly, loaded Yahoo and certainly wouldn't have done so given the option. Even new builds of Firefox retained Yahoo as the default search engine, only a refresh of Firefox seems to have banished Yahoo.

I am assuming that something I downloaded came with Yahoo attached and I either didn't notice or wasn't given, the option not to load Yahoo. Anybody have any ideas what I might have downloaded that carried this unwanted passenger? Is there a way to remove it, other than a refresh?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Thank you but that was exactly what I had been doing, I deleted Yahoo numerous times only for it to return when I restarted Firefox. Note that it isn't part of Firefox and hasn't been for 24 versions, current is 77, so the question is not "how to get rid of it?" but "where did it come from?" . By the way, given that deleting search engines didn't work, refreshing Firefox did the trick.

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Well it was nothing to do with Firefox, seems somewhere I had managed to install another, unwanted browser that didn't want to go away. A rebuild has been performed we'll see if that helps. Much easier on a Mac than a PC the OS took about 45 minutes, well it may have been quicker I wasn't watching but when I went back it was ready to move on. The hard bit was that my Superdrive didn't like my Office disc so I had to use the one in my iMac. Camera Control Pro 2 didn't like my product key when installed from another computer but loaded happily without one when downloaded from Nikon.