1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any advice on Network Attached Storage systems

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by TonyKillay, Dec 19, 2011.

1. TonyKillay

TonyKillay Well-Known Member

For various reasons I'm thinking of investing in a small scale (2 drives) NAS system. The advantages for me would be tremendous ... so long as accessing them at home would be fast enough. Any experiences or advice you'd like to share

Rgds
    Tony

2. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

3. Grierson

Grierson Well-Known Member

I use a Synolgy DS210J. It takes two drives and is easy to set up. It seems quite as fast as I would expect downloading both to our PCs and networked TV. I would buy one again if I needed to. John

4. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I am running something called an MNAS4100 with 4 1TB drives in a RAID-5 with hotswap configuration, giving 2 TB of data space, but with excellent redundancy.It is fine for normal backups and streaming, but is noticeably slower than a USB drive.

I would recommend going for a 1 GB/sec network connection if you plan to use it for image storage, particularly if you plan to load images directly from it to PhotoShop.

5. Bone_Idle

Bone_Idle Well-Known Member

I have used a couple of single drive consumer units.

first was the Buffalo linkstation Live 1TB - It had some good featurs, built in Twonky Media server and build in Torrent Client, but it was very slow.
    Eventually the whole unit kept crashing with Bad Sector errors (as the Operating sytem was basically Linux it was very snsitive to Bad sectors). I've since removed the Drive and solf the carcase/electronics.

I now haf a WD My Book live 2TB - another budget Consumer model, but quite a bit faster. Lacks the Torrent client which isn't an issue for me, but has a better version of Twonky Media player.

I found this site pretty usefull when looking at NAS drives.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-charts/view

I was severly constrained by budget (the 2TB WD was only £119!) If budget wasn't as much of an issue I'd go for a dual drive unit like the QNAP TS-212. But they are quite a bit more money as generally don' include Drives, and Hard Drive prices are through the roof at the moment.

the WD seemed to offer the best price to performance value at the time.

6. Wheelman

Wheelman Well-Known Member

I have a netgear NAS box that I bought without drives, so I could pick my own (Seagate) It can also be purchased with one or two drives pre-installed. Model is this one:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-ReadyNAS-RND2000-Storage-Solution/dp/B001O35S7M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324389407&sr=8-1

At the moment it has 2 x 1Tb with one mirrored. I understand from the blurb that I can hot swap drives with larger ones to increase capacity but haven't had to do that yet

Seems to work fine and no problems with speed, but I do have a Gigabit network

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I've got an Iomega X2 Cloud Edition 4TB thingy - it's not very quick, but against that, I can upload to it from anywhere I can get an internet connection, which is handy. I previously had a WD single-disk thingy, which moved at the speed of a snail in treacle; the Iomega is at least usable, if not as quick as I would like, and being able to access pics from several machines is a plus.

8. TonyKillay

TonyKillay Well-Known Member

Thanks to all for their advice and experience. I think I'll go ahead and install such a beast. I was thinking of one of the Netgear Boxes with 2x 1TB disks configured to mirror each other, Connected to my Sitecom Gigabit router should give reasonable speed in house. Access from outside might be useful occassionally but only for smaller files I suspect.
    It's a bit out of budget at the moment, but I'm convinced it's the way forward (for me) and perhaps the New Year Sales might offer up a bargain

Thanks again
    Tony

9. Bone_Idle

Bone_Idle Well-Known Member

Yeah, the higher specc'ed WD's are slower than the Cheap one I had! quite significantly.Mybook Live (mine) is nearly 4x the speed of the world Edition, even though it is cheaper.

Small Net builder is a good resource for benchmarks and reviews. NAS charts link bellow :-

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-charts/bar

Look like Synology and QNap are the best performers. It also seems like you get what you pay for.