1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any A77 / A77ii users around here?

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Cuthbert, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Well-Known Member

I'm thinking it's about time to upgrade from my 6 year old A350 which is getting a bit tired now and with a not-so-impressive low-light performance compared to more modern offerings, and heading towards the A77 / A77ii as a possibility.

Can anyone comment on the user-experience of the A77 or A77ii in terms of the electronic viewfinder vs the traditional optical viewfinder I've been used to. Also, as I have a couple of Minolta 5600HS(D) flashes, does a hot-shoe adaptor come as part of the package with the A77ii?

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It would seem that the shoe adaptor is a separate item, rrp £25.

Not used an A77 or A77ii, but I have used A57 and A 65s. The evf is better on the slightly later A57, they are at their best in low light and worst in bright sunlight. The new model may be rather improved as these seem to be getting better.

3. mrboab27

mrboab27 Member

I upgraded to a A77 from a minolta dynax 7D and took me a while to get used to the electronic viewfinder but now it's like i have always used one and great to see all the info in it. I have the 3600hsd flash and you don't need an adaptor.

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The A77ii has a different flash shoe from earlier Sony cameras, which used the Minolta type.

5. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

Do not know about shoe adapters as I have Sony Flash guns.

Not the best cameras for low light - best kept below 1600ISO (my A550 is better). However, I do get good results when photographing bands, as long as I keep the ISO about the 800 mark (and with some fiddling in pp - noise reduction etc).
    However, overall, it is the best camera I own, and the other features ( especially the focus peaking) outweighs it's limitations for low light.

Might add that I only own the mark 1 version, though do use Sony F2.8 lens.

Hope this helps.