1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Antivirus/Firewall Software

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by Zou, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Hmm, lots of opinions.

For those running multiple applications, do you have to manually update things, or are they all silently updating every day? Something I like about NIS is that I don't ever have to do anything, it does its live update in the background, and never bothers me with a bubble saying 'NIS needs a crucial update, click here to install it' etc.

2. Cheshire_Tony

Cheshire_Tony Well-Known Member

AVG auto updates, usually daily; Defender similarly though perhaps every couple of days. Zonealarm rarely needs updating, a revised version seems to come out 3 or 4 times a year and then its a manual process, around 10 minutes or so.

3. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

Yep, I have seven different lots of software for firewall/antivirus/spyware etc. Some run in the background and automatically update (as mentioned above), others I have to update/run myself. However, what I usually do is run/update each (that doesn't do it automatically) every weekend. I wouldn't want too many applications running at the same time in the background as this could slow things down too much.

4. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

Pretty much same as Paul, if I remember :eek:.

5. john_g

john_g Well-Known Member

I've downloaded Comodo Firewall Pro (despite the name, it's freeware) and it seems really good. It has been briefly popping up lots of messages keeping me informed as it learnt about my computer's software and it found a few things it wasn't sure about. It has a button you can press which interrogates Comodo's master database via the internet and if that doesn't solve the issue, you can send the file details to Comodo for them to analyse and then update their master database. It might sound more complicated than it is - it's been reassuringly understandable and it seems to pass all the obvious checks for the computer not being visible on the net.

6. liamjames91

liamjames91 Well-Known Member

i use avast free home for anti virus and lavasofts ad-aware 2007 free, for about 15 quid i think you can get live spyware scanning aswell, ive never had any viruses, once or twice a trojan has tried to galop its way onto my pc but was stopped by avast, nearly fell off my seat as avast flashed up with a yellow flashing circle and a warning noise like something was about to blow up!, anyway at least i know it works! :)

7. Muffin

Muffin Well-Known Member

I can confirm that the Comodo Firewall is good and FREE! I am not computerate but I know a man who is and he added Comodo to my machine recently and he said it was good. My machine had caught fire which was a little worrying! Recently my Tiscali collapsed because one of the nutters pulled the plug on my Broadband. I lost everything. How does one find a decent ISP?

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Er, a firewall isn't meant to be used literally... :D

9. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

Tell Tiscali to sort it. BTW, there are good firewalls and there are not-so-good firewalls. There are tests out there to test the strength of your firewall. Even some of the well-known brands aren't 100% effective against all modes of attack. However, any firewall is probably better than no firewall.

10. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

If it catches fire again he can always use a pair of wet knickers to put it out, may be worth having some in a bucket nearby

11. Lounge Lizard

There are many ways of wetting knickers. Unfortunately, my jokes aren't one of them. :(

12. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

Obviously reading the wrong joke books.... :)

13. Lounge Lizard

It's buying cheap Christmas crackers...

14. glyn_g

glyn_g Well-Known Member

Testing Your Firewall

If you want to see how effective your firewall is, try the Shields Up website. It lets you know if there's anything you should be concerned about.

15. Lounge Lizard

Re: Testing Your Firewall

Thanks for the link - it was the system I was thinking of. IIRC, it showed Norton Personal Firewall to not be 100%. The last time I looked (ages ago) showed that ZoneAlarm wasn't bad but I do find it frustrating that vsmon takes so much resource at times.

16. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

I gave up on Zone Alarm (and went to AVG) because vsmon went mad on occasions and took up enough resources to stop my machine totally.

17. Lounge Lizard

Yes, vsmon can be a pain and ZL keeps promising to fix it. I thought AVG was just an anti-virus solution and not a firewall...

18. pachinkofan

pachinkofan Well-Known Member

you can get an avg security "suite" etc if you pay for it. Think only the spyware, anti-virus, and rootkit detectors are the free ones.

G>

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

For the sake of convenience, as much as anything else, I just renewed my NIS subscription. Couldn't be bothered to download, install and configure a range of products. I suppose that is how they do their business. Oh well.

20. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

But may not give a true answer as your ISP may be shielding you to some extent.

OTOH the free utility nmap is an excellent way of scanning systems for vulnerabilities... very few systems, other than those without network connections, scan "clean" with this. It's the same tool crackers use for finding vulnerable systems; to me it seems to make a great deal of sense to use a tool at least as powerful as those deployed against you.