1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Antique and collectors fair

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dream_police, Jul 24, 2021.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

As I mentioned in the weather thread, I went for a rummage at an antiques fair. We have far too much stuff in the house and swore we wouldn't buy anymore.

I bought a variety of old bottles from pharmacies and then..

I saw a stall run by an Eastern European chap. I ended up buying a couple of old enamelled street signs. One for us and one for my brother, whose birthday is on Monday.

[​IMG]Street sign by Nigel G, on Flickr

He also had a crate full of old gas masks. I didn't want the crate full so just bought one. It, like all of the others, was covered in dust. He told me that they were Russian and then added that they came from Chernobyl. I hope he was joking.

[​IMG]Gas Mask by Nigel G, on Flickr

The pièce de résistance is this. WTF I'm going to do with it, I do not know. The number of comments I got when I was walking away to the carpark!
    It is great though. The foot flexes at the toes and the foot moves. The cobbled shoe is made for the leg and it comes with the waist belt to attach the contraption to. No idea how old it is.

[​IMG]Limb by Nigel G, on Flickr

I am definitely going to stop buying oddities.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    ascu75, Catriona and steveandthedogs like this.
  2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Friend of mine died earlier this year, he had lost a leg and had two copies of his artificial one. His partner now has them outside the front door as flower planters.

S

gray1720 and dream_police like this.
  3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

You did well! I'm truly jealous.

dream_police likes this.
  4. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I would bankrupt myself in a place like that!
    Bell's used to have a Vintage/Retro fair every few months and the lady selling jewellery used to grin when I came in because her profits were guaranteed! Got some lovely things there, my favourites are a pottery cat, a green and gold vase (which I have since been informed is probably an art deco piece from a Scottish company in the 1920's and could be worth around £850) but the all time winner was a Phool velvet jacket, I call it the "Freddie Mercury" because it looks like something he would wear, it's a work of art and bonus according to the label its a size 12! I did once have someone call me a "Fat cow" and I said "Can't be this jacket is only a size 12"

5. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Please don’t ever stop. I did Antique fairs for a few years and the world needs more people like you, brave enough to buy the unusual stuff or maybe I should call it the unusable stuff

dream_police likes this.
  6. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I found a pair of legs like that in a skip in Bangor high street once. Often wondered waht the story behind them was.

Yes, I am an inveterate skip peerer!

steveandthedogs likes this.
  7. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I often wonder when viewing items at Antique Fairs…
    Who the hell would buy that sh*te…..

Now I know :D:D:D

8. Simon Leung

Simon Leung Well-Known Member

Antique hunting is my worst form of addiction, especially when it comes to cameras and mechanical watches.

9. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

I’m always buying stuff and selling some and keeping some.

I’m keeping the mask although it’s admittedly a bit tight on me!
    4BD8A908-4F32-4F56-8997-645F62669A1B.jpeg :confused:

Catriona and dream_police like this.
  10. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

One of the local drunks sleeping it off?

S

Zou likes this.
  11. dream_police

Looking at the state of the mask I have, there’s no way I’m putting it on!

Learning likes this.
  12. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

I bought mine as a 'fun' item for my son when he was about 10 I think, it’s fairly clean but I’ve only tried it a couple of times!

13. dream_police

The sort you have (and mine) are quite creepy and almost comedic. Reminds me of Pink Floyd.

This sort are just sinister though.

This is my old work one that I forgot to hand in!
    [​IMG]Respirator 1 by Nigel G, on Flickr

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  14. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

About 40+ years ago at the power station where I worked, they replaced the original railway semaphore signals with light signals. The semaphore signals were dumped in a skip.

Always one of my regrets that I never fished them out and got them home.
    What I would have done with them though when I got them home I haven't a clue, although I suspect the wife was relieved.

15. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Nah! You're wife would have fished them out... (if anything like me).

16. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Not skips but it is amazing what people throw out, my downstairs neighbours threw out a lovely mirror, which I pinched from the recycling bin, couldn't quite get it to hang straight until I stuck a blob of blu-tac at the back on one corner to act as a counter weight. I also have a pine kitchen step for IKEA that was left out for rubbish, I use it to step in and out of my bath when I have had a shower or when I need the extra few inches to reach a ceiling light to replace the bulb. Also I have this beautiful Victorian jug that was obviously part of a jug and basin set that was just left out to be binned- I don't use it but I have it in the bathroom with some copper spray painted birch twigs in it, it was just too nice to be left to be broken.

A friend of mine was about to blow £500 on a bedroom furniture set when he spotted his neighbours putting the same set out for the rubbish and they were perfectly happy for him to have it

Another friend found two enormous CD/DVD racks by the skip outside his building

The winner is Jim M who found a Yamaha hi-fi amp by the recycling bin outside his block. It hadn't been raining and it hadn't been there before he just popped round the local shops so he carted it upstairs and it works perfectly well

zx9r, Learning and John Farrell like this.
  17. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Now go into a shop (or Premier League football match) wearing this - you could tie a face mask over the vent at the bottom.

18. dream_police

I got caught out once at work. We were doing an exertion shoot, running up and down a 50m range so you were really blowing when you had to shoot. The hard bit was, we were wearing full kit including the respirator I am wearing in the photo. Clever me decided to only partially screw in my filter to maybe aid breathing. I got caught out when the thing fell off and clattered across the floor whilst running!

Learning likes this.
  19. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

I hope you bitched mightilly about being issued with sub standard safety gear.;)

Learning likes this.
  20. dream_police

Sometimes it’s easier and best to just roll over with a smile!

Learning likes this.