1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another one for the Forum Lawyers....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dangie, Sep 17, 2021.

1. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

It's assault, pure and simple.

AndyTake2, RogerMac and WillieJ like this.
  3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

There's not quite enough in the report to substantiate that, but it would seem fairly likely.

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

As I understand it a fellow pupil cut the hair lopsided but did not have the means to be worth suing.
    I have no idea of the motives of the teacher but it may well be that she/he/it wanted to help by symetricallizing the haircut.

I claim symetricallizing as a new word. Also symetricallising as a new British variant.

5. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

I read that report the other day .
    Another kid had done it on the bus .
    The parents had taken their child to a hairdresser within the next day or two to have it trimmed more evenly .
    The next day in school , the teacher thought she could do better .
    Presumably the child didn't say no .

Fair enough , the teacher was out of order , it's not for them to cut a pupils hair .

But the parents are having a laugh !
    Making false claims about how the child has been affected by the teacher ( not the child that did it first !) , It's clearly just a money making scam . They should bring charges against the parents on how their behaviour will have an even bigger negative effect on their own child .
    Send them down I say !
    Set an example on what the sueing culture has done to the world . Bloody yanks ! :mad:

6. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I suspect that it'll be about as welcome as certain other "variants" that are around these days. ;)

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

First use matters. First use is is mentioned in very posh dictionaries.;)

Zou likes this.
  8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

In my primary school class, anyone caught or suspected of eating sweets in class was dragged to the washbasin and had their mouth washed out with carbolic. Although I haven't seen those big red bars for a long time I guess the sight would still inspire dread and I have a lifelong aversion to the sight of anyone chewing gum.

9. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that was a few years back ?

I'm not sure if teachers are even allowed to shout at the little ***** anymore .

I remember when we were in primary school at most we were sent to the headmaster/headmistress for a stern talking too , or just made to stand in the corner , facing it . ( I bet they can't do that anymore either !)
    When we went to secondary school they had just abolished corporal punishment , though as I remember not all the teachers had quite figured that out . :eek:
    It was also at a time when the teachers were on strike more than they were working and they kept sending supply teachers .
    Some of whom had massive attitude problems .
    One of them would frequently throw the wooden blackboard rubber at us and would get really angry when we retaliated by throwing the old wooden chairs back at him ! :p
    Strictly speaking we were acting in self defense as he shouldn't be throwing things at us . School made us what we are today , hardly a wonder half my class are either inside , dead or missing ! :eek:

Even then though , there's no way would a teacher cut your hair .
    Supply you with drink and drugs , sure , but not cut your hair .
    ( To be fair the school didn't endorse that and he was arrested o_O)

10. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Cutting the child’s hair may have been wrong, but:

As well as violating the child's constitutional rights, the lawsuit also alleges racial discrimination, ethnic intimidation, intentional infliction of emotional distress and assault and battery.

The district "failed to properly train, monitor, direct, discipline, and supervise their employees and knew or should have known that the employees would engage in the complained of behavior given the improper training, customs, procedures, and policies, and the lack of discipline that existed for employees," the lawsuit says.

Is probably pushing things a bit…..
    Maybe an apology from the teacher and a bit of a wrist slap* would do.

*Then I suppose the teacher would file a lawsuit for all of the aforementioned….

WillieJ likes this.
  11. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

The way I read that top paragraph makes it look fine to have done that if the kid had been white .
    If in doubt , always place the race card !

The teacher was in the wrong , but it doesn't look like any malice was involved .
    Just they made the daft decision to help .

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  12. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Once again showing that no good deed ever goes unpunished. :(

neilt3 likes this.
  13. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Flog 'em and hang 'em, it's the only way they learn

neilt3 likes this.
  14. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

I'm sure they've learnt their lesson , and will make sure in the future to never do anything that could help a student again !

I fully agree .
    Now , just for clarification , do you mean students and teachers ? Or just one or the other ? ;)

15. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Both!

neilt3 likes this.
  16. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

As David said it was an assault pure and simple. Not a serious one and the parent is simply being an american and doing what american's do.

neilt3 likes this.
  17. WillieJ

I believe I invented the term "drafto" akin to typo but more of a legal cuff up.

18. WillieJ

If you are an american play every card in the pack if it helps you make a victims dollar. Delict (renamed Tort by english lawyers) was invented in Scotland - Donghue v Stevenson - but for some reasons the americans have turned it into a perverted sort of art form.

neilt3 likes this.
  19. WillieJ

While Andrew will not see this I never the less feel I have to chuck in my tuppence worth. It was not a good deed.
    Most generous explanation I can think of was it was an interfering saddo with a need to feel superior or needed. Re the race (or class?) card. If the kid had been a WASP would the teacher have interfered?

20. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Or maybe they were just trying to help ?

Have you never been helpful to anyone , or offered help , without having to be asked to help first ?

No idea what your refering to as a "WASP" though .