1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another, anyone know?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dream_police, Aug 11, 2020.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

This lovely little church (All Saints Church, Siddington) has an arrow at its bottom right on the front (actually it will be a side) It is etched into the stone and has been painted white. It is a very old building and has obviously been added to/modified/repaired over the years.

Anyone know what the arrow might indicate?

[​IMG]All Saints Church, Siddington by Nigel G, on Flickr

[​IMG]Black, White, Arrow by Nigel G, on Flickr

2. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

a way mark I believe

3. dream_police

Not convinced but obviously i don't know. Seems to be in an odd place for that and no pathway that I was aware of to indicate (of course several hundred years ago there may have been)

4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

5. WillieJ

Sorry wrong term and I cannot remember the correct one but they are some sort of datum point from which one can accurately measure bounderies etc. Is there a surveyer in the house?

6. WillieJ

Beaten by Catriona in both speed and accuracy.

dream_police and Catriona like this.
  7. Catriona

steveandthedogs and dream_police like this.
  8. dream_police

Catriona likes this.
  9. Catriona

That was very interesting, so thank you for posting it.

10. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Catriona got it right first time.
    There used to be lots of these around the "built" environment, and they were maintained by the OS, and they indicate the height above Mean Sea-Level. I now understand that the use of differential GPS has made them of less importance, and they are being allowed to wither. There are other benchmarks of a more substantial nature, Fundamental Bench Marks, and these I believe are being maintained. FBMs are hemispherical domes (around 7cm diam) set in a substantial mount. Locally, there's one close to the Great Linford parish church, and it's sited within a fenced enclosure. In Wales, by the side of the lowest dam in the Elan Valley series of dams SW of Rhayader, there's one easily accessible from the public road.

9684ms OS Bench mark, Elan Valley Dam.jpg

dream_police and Catriona like this.
  11. Catriona

I've just looked at the map myself and there are two quite close to me. Must look soon. :)