1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anonymous gift

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by RogerMac, Sep 27, 2021.

1. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

This bunch of zero air miles flowers arrived anonymously and we had to interrogate my sister before she confessed it was from her. The lack of air miles was the clue that gave her away.
    I have processed them as best I can but comments would be appreciated

FlowersIMG_0079  b   1024.JPG

Catriona likes this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I've never heard of a "zero air mile" flower, I suppose that means grown locally and not imported. You've put this in Appraisal - my thought is that, assuming the background is a white wall, bringing the flowers forward and putting some light on the wall would set them off better.

zx9r, Learning and RogerMac like this.
  3. RogerMac

Thanks for the comments. In fact the wall is very light grey I don't have access to white one but could rig up an old video screen if I can find it again

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

There are some white haloes. I think that it is slightly oversharpened.

zx9r and RogerMac like this.
  5. PeteRob

If it is a grey wall then my comment is inappropriate - I just expected white and thus saw the background as underexposed.

6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Beautiful flowers but yes, I'd agree with @Learning that there are some odd outlines. Etiher over sharpening or you really need to look at the CA from your lens.

7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Very nice, but I do think it is a bit under exposed. The white outlining is the big issue too. When you lighten, you can see the light is directional from the left. Ideally, you'd have a big reflector to the right.

[​IMG]F;lowers not my shot by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

You can address the light issue if you prefer it more even:

[​IMG]Flowers not my shot 2 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

ptermx and RogerMac like this.
  8. RogerMac

Thanks Mike I think that your lightened version comes close to the image I saw in my minds eye but did not achieve it myself

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  9. PeteRob

I'd do something like this which is a bit less contrasty than Mike's - but I'm not skilled enough to kill the shadow on the right so, rather than mess around, I have left it alone.

not mine FlowersIMG_0079  b   1024.jpg

or this, hard to say without knowing how grey the wall is

not mine FlowersIMG_0079  b   1024 copy.jpg

RogerMac likes this.
  10. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

The histogram shows very low levels on the right third of the chart, which is what you might get for a very dark subject.
    I have increased the brightness, and reduced the contrast and colour intensity (possibly too much on the contrast).
    A better image could probably be extracted from the RAW file if you have one.

How could you tell that the flower had 'zero air miles' before their arrival?

FlowersIMG_0079  b   1024 revised.jpg

RogerMac likes this.
  11. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I prefer Mike's second rendering. Roger. I think you might improve on Mike's version even more because you have the original. Mike's high contrast I think suits the subject and Pete Rob's version is also very pleasing. Contrast comes down to personal preference. Either way, the flowers are a lovely present.

12. ptermx

ptermx Well-Known Member

I like that lighting-adjusted one best. Did you do that with selective lightening in an adjustment layer?

I suppose the real lesson, though, is to look at and think about the light more carefully while taking the shot.

13. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I laid a grey grad horizontally from the left, then lightened the result overall. Then I just dodged the darker bit on the right very crudely. Just a demo really.

14. RogerMac

Thank you all for some helpful comments which I have taken on board board in case I need to do a flower image seriously.
    One other thing I learnt is that a mixed light light image (flash and daylight ) came out beautifully on one screen but a horrible muddy colour on another screen!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  15. PeteRob

If by screen you mean two different monitors then that is a calibration issue. If the monitors are side by side then you also have to work a bit harder at calibration to ensure the black points match.

16. RogerMac

Normally I prepare an image on one of as screens if possible l compare it against the original and then put it on the forum, then immediately check the result on my Kind!e - to see what others might see, usually the Kindle version has vibrant colours and I like it but in this case it was truly horrid.

Of course if printing I start small with test prints and work up