1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

...and one for the farmers!

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by gray1720, Jul 4, 2020.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Any idea what's going on here? There's quite clearly two varities growing here - one wheat with no awns and with green stems and ears, and one with awns and blueish stems and ears. Why sow mixed grain? There's also the very occasional very tall plant (one every thirty yards or so), 4-5 feet high, which I assume are atavistic sports. _DSC0068.jpg

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

From an appraisal point of view (this is in Appraisals) the yellow leaf jars and the high viewpoint makes the bottom 1/4 look a bit thinly packed. But from your text I think you meant it to be in Exhibition.

3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Is this in a purely arable setting? The only logical reason I can see for sowing a mixed crop of rye and wheat would be for whole crop silage rather than for grain.

4. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

If I post in Exhibition, no-one will comment!

There are certainly cattle around who might get winter silage, but not many, mostly beef I reckon, and I couldn't tell you where the farm is. The area is (unusually for round here) mostly arable.